walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bhreac-Bheinn and Meall Dheirgidh - where?

Bhreac-Bheinn and Meall Dheirgidh - where?

Postby malky_c » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:29 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Breac-Bheinn, Meall Dheirgidh

Date walked: 12/12/2021

Time taken: 3.2 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 910m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Marilyns: Breac-Bheinn, Meall Dheirgidh.
Date: 12/12/2021.
Distance: 11.5 km.
Ascent: 910m.
Time: 3 hours, 10 minutes.
Weather: Calm and overcast.

Eh...where?!

I've been meaning to go up this pair of hills for 6 or 7 years now, being the closest Marilyns to Inverness that I haven't been up yet. But for whatever reason the names have never stuck in my head, and I would have struggled to place them if just reading them off a list. Tucked away up the other Strathcarron (near the Dornoch Firth), they don't see a great deal of hillwalking action and don't stand out prominently in any views. I think I was always waiting to use the train and bike to go up there but the timetable is pretty sketchy so I never did get around to it. Since we currently aren't using public transport, I thought they would make a pleasant short afternoon out at a time when there isn't much daylight.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jackie was along for the chance to visit somewhere new and did a cycle along both sides of the glen and up towards Glencalvie, Alladale and Croick. We parked up at Sgodachail and I set off through the field to the east of the house. There was an open gate at the back of the field and a rough quad bike track heading up Allt Coire Ruchain. I used this for a bit before turning right into the heather to get up Meall nan Eun. No real reason to include this hill in the circuit other than to make the walk a bit longer and give me a little more ascent. Heather was typical rough country but not obnoxiously so, and thinned out as I got higher.

River Carron

Meall nan Eun

Across Strathcarron to Carn Salachaidh

West up Strathcarron to Alladale

The day was a bit hazy and overcast but there were pleasant enough views across Strathcarron and down to the Dornoch Firth. The larger hills to the west were mostly capped in cloud. Meall Dheirgidh did actually present a shapely profile from this direction - these are never going to end up in anyone's list of top 20 lower hills but they are far from unpleasant.

East to the Dornoch Firth

Meall Dheirgidh from Meall nan Eun

I dropped straight down the other face of Meall nan Eun into deeper heather, crossed the burn then headed up the steep slopes of Breac-Bheinn. I was able to dodge the worst of the heather. The summit is actually halfway between the trig point and the prominent cairn on an unassuming mass of peat, but any of the summit bumps give a decent view.

Meall Dheirgidh from Breac-Bheinn

(almost) summit of Breac-Bheinn

Meall Dheirgidh and the Alladale hills

Through the haze, various interesting hills were just about visible - Suilven, Canisp, Ben More Assynt and Ben Klibreck. They would be much more obvious in clearer conditions.

Zoom to Ben More Assynt

More heather and rough grass on the descent between the two hills. After hitting the corner of a ruined fence, I actually dropped a bit below the level o the col to pick up a deer track. This made the going onto Meal Dheirgidh more straightforward for a bit. The big dome was steep in places and the summit cairn on the other side of a tall deer fence. Not to worry - the fence had collapsed and was easy to cross. There was a gentle breeze here which was the most wind I felt all day.

Loch Meall Dheirgidh and Dornoch Firth

I had a quick lunch break on the way down from here (3pm - a bit on the late side!) and dropped steeply to the Allt Coire Ruchain. There may have been a direct way back to the car, but again I was spinning things out a little, getting some more ascent by going over An Cabagach as well. This was less steep and appeared to have about 4 summits. While I was going to visit them all, I spotted a quad bike track heading in the direction of the car after I reached the second one, and the light was starting to go now.

Allt Coire Ruchain

I opted to ditch the other summits (which turned out to be lower anyway) and make a quick descent of the track, as it removed any need to think too hard about the best way down. I reached the car in the last light shortly after 4pm, rather surprised to find that Jackie wasn't back yet. I was glad as she would have been cold sitting waiting for me. But where was she? She appeared 5 minutes later having diverted to Croick church for a nosy.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Bhreac-Bheinn and Meall Dheirgidh - where?

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:56 pm

Very timely report, we were eyeing this duo for a winter outing. Not that there is much winter left on the hills now :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby gld73 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:51 am

These 2 were on my radar to do this winter (after Blackpanther mentioned them in reply to a walk report I'd done for a couple of other hills in the area). Might not get the chance this year now due to family issues taking me down to Cumbria, but I might still get the odd day out in the Highlands - nice to have a route suggestion to look at when I do get round to doing them!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:09 am

Unlike the other two "locals" above, I'd never heard of these hills so "Eh, where ?" was right enough :wink: then had a look at the map to realise that I must've driven past them only last year. Looked good for a winter wander - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland