walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Highland Way -Day 5- Bridge of Orchy/Kinlochleven

West Highland Way -Day 5- Bridge of Orchy/Kinlochleven

Postby GillC » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:36 pm

Date walked: 05/05/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 33 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Margaret drove up from Glasgow to join me for the last 2 long days.

Arranged for breakfast at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel,,this is really handy,,if youre staying there, the West Highland Way Bunkhouse or even camping,,you can just nip in for a full breakfast. The even do a packed lunch for non residents, as long as its ordered the previous evening.

Set off with the rain starting, not many pics on this stretch,,was a long wet one. The first 12 miles or so that took us to Kingshouse was very busy,, most people who have had different stop locations up until now all converge and really have the last two days together so there were lots of people Id met in various locations/pubs on the way. The 6 day motocross trials were also taking place on this stretch which meant we shared the path with a lot of very inconsiderate guys on trailbikes ..Walkers had signs to warn them of this but I really feel that as this is a right of way,, a little more consideration from the organisers to advise the riders to be more aware., Nearly got knocked off my feet by one or two of them,. All for sharing the countryside and as a motorcyclist myself, Im not being unreasonable,,,this is a walk. I found this a little disruptive.

Anyway, a pint in the Kingshouse was nice, but the constant cry of "HAGGIS PANNINI...WHO ORDERED A HAGGIS PANNINI?" somehow detracted from the walkers chatter in the bar. round the back,away from the smart folk and the cocktail bar.

The Kingshouse has a reputation for not being particulary walker/camper friendly. The area to the back of the hotel, just off the WHW is clearly used for wild camping but the hotel do not allow any access to the facilities/toilets etc for campers and kindly advise that the nearest services are some miles away in Glencoe Village. They also dont let out any of the bunkhouse beds until the Hotel rooms are full, bit cheeky if you ask me. But hey,,all I wanted was a pint!!!
Day 5b.JPG
Threatening an early bath at Kingshouse

Headed off from Kingshouse and in the general direction of THE DEVILS STAIRCASE!!! To be honest,,this wasnt as bad as ive heard people make out. If you have any experience of hill climbing,,this is pretty average, not a particularly long climb and very easy underfoot,,even in the wet conditions. It was smirry rain all day really but mild and no wind so perfectly comfortable in our waterproofs.

The last 3-4 miles of a 21 mile day were down hill into Kinlochleven. Some on a trail and others on a forest path that served a hydro plant. managed to break into a bit of a jog in places,,gravity assisted as all downhill.

Stayed at the BlackWater Hostel,,well run, great place. Margaret and I shared a twin bunk room with a wet/shower room and even a telly,,for £15 a head,,fantastic value. There was a hugh kitchen and leisure area. Drying room was a god send and everything dry for repacking or wearing the next day. Out for a stroll and dinner in our finery.
IMG00951-20110505-1909.jpg
Donning the most fashionable of rain gear in Kinlochleven
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland