walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgùrr Chòinnich

Sgùrr Chòinnich

Postby Yorjick » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich

Date walked: 22/12/2021

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 950m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The last time I climbed this hill was on 14 August 1994. I remember nothing, but I know that I was a lot fitter as I included both Sgurr a' Chaorachan and Maoile Lunndaidh! I think that I was probably a lot more organised too. I had little time to read ahead and was packing my rucksack late the previous evening. I could not remember the car park. Maybe it was not there back then?

Taking my bike out of the car, I had difficulty fitting the front wheel and having lifted my bike over the gate and heading along the track, I found that the front brake was not working .... AT ALL! I think I may have displaced the brake pad so no contact was being made with the disk. I did have a look round in the torch light on my return. So I relied solely on the rear brake, which is not all that effective either. :shock: I will get the brakes sorted out before I use it again.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The next thing to go wrong was taking the wrong turn and coming to a dead end. :roll: Instead of retracing my route, I locked up the bike and headed up rough ground to the correct track.

IMGP3360.jpg

Once above the forest, I looked back to the fine peaks of Fuar Tholl, Sgor Ruadh and Beinn Liath Mhor.

IMGP3363.jpg

While the peaks to the north were clear, I was heading into the mist. I could just make out Sgurr a' Chaorachain and Sgùrr Chòinnich.

IMGP3367.jpg

I managed not to miss the small cairn marking the path to the "bridge". I use the term loosely as it consists of a rope and a cable. It was easily negotiated and I was quickly on my way up the icy path up to Bealach Bhearnais.

IMGP3371.jpg

IMGP3372.jpg

Looking east towards Sgurr nan Ceannaichean (demoted from Munro status to a Corbett) and Moruisg.

IMGP3384.jpg

I had to walk along the edge or to the side of the path for most of the way as it was too slippery. However this was far easier walking than through knee-deep snow a year ago. The temperature was only just below zero and was completely still, so no wind chill.

IMGP3387.jpg

At Bealach Bhearnais the path headed left and offered pleasant walking up to the second bealach.

IMGP3388.jpg

Heading towards the day's objective, I soon came across the short section of wall. Presumably, this marks a boundary. It certainly was not built to keep in the sheep! I am glad that it is there. Not only would it act as a navigation guide in bad weather but it adds greatly to the composition of my favourite photograph of the day!

IMGP3396.jpg

Looking towards the Matterhorn - OK, then Bidein Cheesecake. :lol:

IMGP3405.jpg

My progress up the ridge was a little slow, partly down to a lack of fitness, but also due to taking photographs and talking to a very fit looking walker, in lightweight boots. I suppose they made perfect sense really as it was not really crampon conditions though he did make reference to some "scary" snow slopes on the other side of the hill that had begun to thaw and then turned to ice. He was equipped with an axe which was readily at hand.

IMGP3408_stitch.jpg

Looking across Sgùrr na Feartaig to the peaks of Torridon.

IMGP3420.jpg

Screenshot 2021-12-24 15.16.05.png

I decided not to carry my tripod as I had enough to carry with my axe, crampons, flask of soup etc. Therefore, I could not focus my camera on the cairn and then sit on the cairn. Instead, I had it rested on a rock at the base of the cairn and focused on some icy tussocks of grass. Obviously this is not be approaching the summit - I am not carrying my backpack, but I like to have something to show that I was there.

IMGP3444.jpg

Not much of a cairn for such a fine Munro!

IMGP3442.jpg

The battery charge indicator was beginning to flash on the camera. As I said before, I was not fully prepared for this one. I was carrying a spare but as I was returning by the same route and the light was beginning to fade, I did not think that I could improve on the photos I had already taken, so put the camera away in my rucksack.

Also, I knew that I would have to take care going down as although the slightly scrambly bits were easy rock steps, they were very icy and slippery. I was thinking about avoiding them on the steep but safe southern slopes, which turned into a plan and made for a much more comfortable descent.

I felt absolutely fine but still not as quick as I used to be and it was dark by the time I reached the gate across the track and I was wearing my headtorch. Finding my bike was no problem with the reflectors doing their job well. I carefully freewheeled with half a brake back to the railway crossing.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
20211224_200327.jpg
Last edited by Yorjick on Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: Sgùrr Chòinnich

Postby litljortindan » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:17 pm

Some good photos there. The dusting of snow and steely skies combine well.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Yorjick » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:47 pm

litljortindan wrote:Some good photos there. The dusting of snow and steely skies combine well.

Thank you Litljortindan. I am particularly pleased with the one of the wall and the ridge leading up to the summit. If there is too much snow, it can be difficult to distinguish the outline of the hill from the skies. In this regards, a hard frost allows for better contrast.

Every 6 months, I produce a photobook. I already have a front cover for the latest one (flamingos in Astana City), but thinking of wsitching it for the one of Sgùrr Chòinnich.

Also wondering what it might look like as a canvas print on my office wall.

Happy wanderings in 2022!
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:50 pm

This and her partner I have still to visit, so nice to read your report as a reminder that it's on the list and very much worth doing!

"...my favourite photograph of the day!" - mine too, which is saying something given that all the pics in your report are superb!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:05 pm

Woah, that looked good! This pair (and possibly Maoile Lunndaidh too) are firmly on the radar for this summer.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland