walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cattle danger

Cattle danger

Postby Beardy Hamish » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:28 pm

Route description: Kerloch, from the north

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Kerloch

Date walked: 28/12/2021

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm just writing this as a warning for other walkers. We walked this route in the summer and were charged, then attacked by the cattle in the field. We narrowly escaped a very nasty situation. Do not walk this route if there are cows present.
Last edited by Beardy Hamish on Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beardy Hamish
Hill Bagger

Re: Kerloch walk

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:00 pm

See my walk report 12/5/2015, my warning was there for all those following.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Cattle danger

Postby Beardy Hamish » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:15 pm

I saw your report on the evening of our cattle attack. Well done for raising awareness.
Beardy Hamish
Hill Bagger

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:58 pm

Beardy Hamish wrote:I saw your report on the evening of our cattle attack. Well done for raising awareness.

Hey Beardy Hampshire if your thinking about Hill of Garvock just nearby, can also be a bit of an issue if cows in field, ok 👍
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Beardy Hamish » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:10 pm

Hi Rodmiester. I read your Hill of Garvock report straight after reading your Kerloch report. I am in awe of your bravery !
Beardy Hamish
Hill Bagger

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:08 pm

Are you sure these cattle were attacking you?
I'm sure they exist, but I've never met an agressive cow in my life. They are, however. insatiably curious - young bullocks particularly so - and if they come rushing up I think it's much more likely they are hoping you have some delicious cowcake or something for them. if you have an out of control dog it may be a bit different
if they do come rushing up, I find it best to stay where you are and when they stop a couple of metres away talk to them - a soft unthreatening voice will surely calm them. If you run, they will of course run after - as will almost any other animal
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland