walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Come on weather!

Come on weather!

Postby Silverhill » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:56 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Wether Law

Date walked: 31/12/2021

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 356m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Second year in a row that I didn’t get to go the homeland in my Christmas holidays thanks to Covid :( . But on the flipside without the (domestic) travel restrictions at least this holiday I should get to do some proper hillwalking, right?
Alas, so far it has been too windy, too wet, too foggy etc. for big hills. Typical!
This morning my other plans for today fell through. Could I perhaps finish 2021 on a (wee) high then? A late start and strong winds limited the choice somewhat, so Wether Law it was.
I parked in the new housing estate at Damside just off the A701 and followed the Cross Borders Drove Road. It is well marked and a very pleasant approach indeed.

2021-12-31 13.30.02.jpg
Cross Borders Drove Road marker

2021-12-31 13.32.38.jpg
Moor ahead

First it’s lovely countryside and once out of the woods you’re on the moor. It feels pretty remote, but it is not. The Fingland Burn had swollen considerably and the ford was not fordable. Jumping over the fast-flowing stream added some excitement.

2021-12-31 13.45.43.jpg
Fingland Burn

Onwards along the track and up the nose of Green Knowe. It was then a very enjoyable ridge walk. Not quite like Beinn Eighe :lol:, but still lovely. There is an ATV track that goes all the way to the summit.

2021-12-31 14.28.29.jpg
Nearly there

2021-12-31 14.35.28.jpg
Summit view south

The wind had been behind me all the way up so it was only at the summit that I noticed how strong it was. Hence the walk down was a bit more laborious. The sun came out briefly and made the yellow grass light up with a golden glow. I just love it when it does that :D.

2021-12-31 14.57.37.jpg
Golden glow (poorly captured)

Once back down the wind wasn’t an issue anymore. Another skip across the burn and then a pleasant walk back to the car.

2021-12-31 15.23.01.jpg
Back on the moor

2021-12-31 15.50.32.jpg
Back to civilisation

It’s a great walk in its own right. Ideal if you’re not going for just the ‘tick’ alone.

Best wishes for a healthy and happy 2022 :D

Wether Law.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland