walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Routine walk adventurous descent

Routine walk adventurous descent

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:52 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill, Bell Craig, Herman Law

Date walked: 30/12/2021

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 9.21 km

Ascent: 517m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the festivities we were all itching to get out - easier said than done. The weather forecast was less than favourable, unless you like rain, so the only weather window was Thursday morning. Tommy was keen to join us and pick off another 3 hills and keep up his fitness.
I suggested we utilise the 2 cars by not retracing our steps and descending off Bell Craig. Looking at various different maps the obvious problem is how to get across Moffat Water which runs between the hills and the main road. The only bridge is near Polmoodie Farm so that was to be our crossing point.
I arranged to meet Tommy at the car park at Grey Mares Tail, we then left his car near Polmoodie and then headed NE along the A708 to park near in a small layby near Birkhill.
The weather as you can see from the first photo was pretty grotty, not a problem really.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Full wet weather gear required = grotty

Here we go up into the higher cloud

Looking back - you can just about make out the couple of buildings near the road

Is Parminder enjoying himself?

Tommy calling in the blur that is his dog Max

I wish I could go that fast uphill

The way ahead, follow the fence

Cracking views, bit of a slog initially, long wet grass - welcome to the Borders

Don't get too excited, the first summit, Herman Law

Closer shot, views no better

Follow the leader

Almost a view

Look at that, views

The rest of the Ettrick Hills

Interesting couple of peat hags

First of 2 large cairns on Trowgrain Middle before we reach our next summit Andrewhinney Hill

Cloud was whizzing through

You can see where the stones for the cairn came from

Looking back

The next cairn on Mid Rig

Looking west across towards White Coomb and co

Similar photo half of it engulfed with cloud

Andrewhinney Hill cairn not as impressive as the previous ones

The way ahead to Bell Craig

Parminder being king of his castle

The way ahead

Max knows the way so follow him

The summit of Bell Craig - impressive?

Max sitting for his usual summit pose

Following an ATV track SW towards another Mid Rig

Our plan was to head SW and pick up a zig zag track that we spotted from the road, it had been created by the "lumberjacks". We should have known better than to venture into a de-forested area, having said that for me it made a routine day a bit more exciting.

We were kind of traversing across the hillside hoping to intercept the track. It was a good plan - that failed miserably

Just to prove we were traversing, great view SW towards Moffat

We still have over 300m of height to lose

Looking NE up towards Grey Mares Tail

Concentrating, descending slightly

SW again after losing a bit of height

Tommy leading the way and now the fun begins

Looks inviting

The easier bit

Now it gets interesting, rubber soled boots and wet wood = not a good safe descent

Trying to stick to the green stuff as much as possible, I think you can see the steepness

The bridge is way down there, look closely

Hands up if anyone finds the scarring of the hillsides attractive, I thought so. What a mess

Tommy still heading down

George and Parminder taking their time

A lowish level shot SW

Time to regroup, almost on level ground

George posing in front of a nice muddy puddle

Looking uphill, you can see the zig zag we saw from the road, a shame we never found it

Moffat Water, you can see why we wanted to utilise the bridge

Looking NE

The bridge

What should and could have been an easy day turned out to be a bit more challenging because of the descent. Admittedly wherever we had opted to descend it would have been steep and possibly easier and certainly quicker. Walking over flat deforested area is difficult, add in a steep slope and soggy underfoot conditions and that makes for very slow careful going.
It was great to catch up and hopefully we will be out this week again.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Routine walk adventurous descent

Postby Robertgee » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:32 am

Good write up for your walk. It's good to see some of these Hills I climbed many years ago, probably the late 90's. I remember having a great and very enjoyable walk along here. I did a long circuit from the Ettrick side using the Southern Upland Way for the return. The thing I remember best, is the superb views directly over the valley to the Grey Mare's Tail and Loch Skeen, it was truly unforgettable.
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Re: Routine walk adventurous descent

Postby Robertgee » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:56 pm

Turns out it was only 16 years ago I did this walk. :lol: I did in fact start at Birkhill, same as you, but continued along ridge to Bodesbeck Law. down to Potburn on the Ettrick side, then back up onto the ridge via Bught Hill, following this back to Birkhill. A long but enjoyable day out. :D

29-White Coomb, Loch Skeen, Lochcraig Head & Grey Mares Tail from Andrewhinney Hill.jpg
View to Grey Mare's Tail and Loch Skeen from Andrewhinney Hill...the unforgettable view
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland