walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tick Central at the Falls of Foyers

Tick Central at the Falls of Foyers

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:18 pm

Route description: Falls of Foyers

Date walked: 17/07/2021

Time taken: 2.1 hours

Distance: 7.44 km

Ascent: 227m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

July was not a good month for me and Long Covid. More bad days than good (and those bad days were generally the really bad days) and on the good days I was so keen to make up for the bad days that I probably over-did it and caused more Bad Days. This was probably one of those examples of over-doing it.

A day where I could contemplate going out - huzzah! Malky had mentioned the Falls of Foyers of numerous occasions but we'd never actually made it there. So today was the day. We parked up just outside Foyers and headed up the road before joining a path through the woods. We could see back down to the village and Loch Ness

Through the trees we caught glimpses of Meall Fuar-Mhonaidh (I think)

It was a good path and really pretty as we followed the burn higher. My main complaint was that it was uphill :roll:

The falls themselves were not very impressive as it had been dry for ages (Malky said that this is often the case anyway because the water gets diverted into the hydro scheme) but the sense of "big-ness" was quite impressive

There are all sorts of longer walks that could be done here, but Malky had suggested a bit extra - we headed along the road a short distance before heading down what turned out to be the South Loch Ness trail for a while. We passed some decking - we weren't really sure what it was for!

We then out-and-backed to a radio mast - I don't know why. It seemed like a good idea at the time (to Malky anyway) - I was just plodding along and not really aware of what was going on :roll:

We managed to lose a path (but get some views)

And then find a path again (and also a load of ticks!)

We then came out in the fields behind Foyers and had another break - having never had a tick in my life, I pulled 3 off myself - Malky had some too!

Loch Ness

Looking back

Possibly the best-kept bridge in the Highlands?

Looking up to the old bridge

Towards Loch Ness 8)

Back at the car at last - phew :crazy:
Attachments

activity_7142199020.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Tick Central at the Falls of Foyers

Postby Robertgee » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:06 pm

I hate all those ticky things, had loads over the years, and now do all I can to actively avoid them. :( I can see an explosion in numbers over the coming years. :shock:
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Re: Tick Central at the Falls of Foyers

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:37 pm

Robertgee wrote:I hate all those ticky things, had loads over the years, and now do all I can to actively avoid them. :( I can see an explosion in numbers over the coming years. :shock:

Apparently it was a bad year for them - no idea what caused it!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland