walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Bainloch Hill obstacle course

The Bainloch Hill obstacle course

Postby Robertgee » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:32 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bainloch Hill

Date walked: 04/01/2022

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 6.4 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2022-01-04 @ 08-50-02.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

For my next Galloway peak I'd decided on Bainloch Hill, as the weather was to be sunny but very windy...I thought that the approach through forestry would mean it would only be cold and windy when I reached the summit. I reckoned this was to be a short easy walk with most of the route along forest roads, then along a good forest ride to the open hillside, then the only "bad bit" through thick heather to the summit...what could go wrong? :?

I started in a good parking spot just south of Fairgirth. The walk initially followed the road past Fairgirth and Doonside, turning right onto a track heading for Bainloch Forest.

01-Fairgirth Loch.jpg
Fairgirth Loch early in the morning

04-View to Dalbeattie Forest.jpg
View along the valley with Dalbeattie Forest on left

I entered the forest with nice easy walking to start with, but then reached the first obstacle, a fallen tree from storm Arwenn, right across the track. This was very easily by-passed on the left, then I continued along the route only to reach the next wind fallen trees. Only this time there was a row of about six or seven of them, right across the track with at first glance, no easy way around. Turned out I could get past on the right, by going up the drainage ditch and stream, shoving the branches out the way at I went.

05-Bainloch Forest.jpg
Starting through Bainloch Forest

06-Wind fallen trees still to get past.jpg
Looking back at the row of broken trees, which I managed to get through by using the ditch to the left as looking at it from this side

After this it was now a case of finding a way up through the trees on my right to get onto the open hillside. From other walk reports I knew that a nice easy forest ride at NX893573 was to be the easiest way to the summit. On the way to this there was yet another two trees blocking the track...by-passing them on the left. As I progressed along the track there was devastation of the forest on the right with many dozens of wind fallen trees. It was like this until I reached the small cairn marking the start of the forest ride to the open hill. The forest was a complete mess here, but I started along the ride to see if it would be passable. Unfortunately there was no chance of getting by, so it was time to retreat and find another route. :(

I retraced my path back along the track to NX891571 where another small gap is to be found in the trees, which I believe some others have used to get to the top.

This starts with tussocks and a hidden stream, the Joy's of Marilyn bagging. :lol:

09-Route to Bainloch Hill.jpg
The tussocky start through the trees

This soon narrowed with only a boggy stream to walk up.

10-Route to Bainloch Hill.jpg
A narrow boggy stream to follow

But I could then move over to the right to find easy going between the lanes of trees.

11a-Route back to forest road.jpg
Getting better now...looking back along my route

Then I reached more wind fallen trees, lots of devastation to the right, but only a little on my direct route which was easily by-passed, soon reaching the edge of the forest. :clap:

11b-Starting back down through the storm damaged forest.jpg
Some of the mess, but easily by-passed

11-Light at the end of the forest.jpg
Light at the end of the forest

12-Bainloch Hill from the west.jpg
Bainloch Hill

I now took note of exactly where I emerged from the trees, and made my way up to the not too far off summit. The walking was pathless through thick heather but easy enough.

16-White Hill, Hestan Island, Balcary Point and Almorness Point from below Bainloch Hill.jpg
Solway Coast

20-Bainloch Hill summit.jpg
Bainloch Hill summit

Finally I reached the summit cairn and some good all round views. :D

21-Mersehead Sands from Bainloch Hill.jpg
Mersehead Sands

22-Criffel from Bainloch Hill.jpg
Criffel

24-Bengairn and Screel Hill from Bainloch Hill.jpg
Toward Bengairn and Screel Hill

25-Bennan and Bishop Forest Hill from Bainloch Hill.jpg
Bennan and Bishop Forest Hill, a couple of easy Galloway hills, faint in the far distance

27-White Hill, Hestan Island and Balcary Point from Bainloch Hill.jpg
Solway Coast

28-Urr Valley from Bainloch Hill.jpg
Urr Valley

Return was to simply retrace my steps all the way back to the car. Soon after rejoining the forest road I saw another jap in the trees at NX889571 where a half decent looking path followed alongside a stone wall. This could be another possible route to the summit if it isn't impassable by fallen trees. Follow wall till it meets another, then turn left to follow that one till it emerges from the trees and continue steeply uphill till below the summit. Could be worth a try, but if it doesn't work, don't blame me. :roll:

41-Fairgirth Loch and Dalbeattie Forest.jpg
Back at Fairgirth Loch on my return
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Re: The Bainloch Hill obstacle course

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:34 pm

Nice one Robert, we tackled Bainloch a couple of years ago along with Bengairn.
I had a look at my report and it brought back instant memories, one of the many jungle warfare encounters when tackling the Donald's & Marilyn's in the Borders.
Fallen trees are becoming a huge problem we came across quite a few last month when tackling Curleywee & co.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland