walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Have yourself a Merry Little Wyvis

Have yourself a Merry Little Wyvis

Postby BlackPanther » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:58 pm

Route description: Little Wyvis, near Garve

Corbetts included on this walk: Little Wyvis

Date walked: 25/12/2021

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 652m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the first day of Christmas but Christmas was cancelled due to COVID. For us, it meant just the two of us, a Christmas tree and a fridge full of food. And of course Wee Lucy. She really wanted to go up a mountain on Xmas Day, even if it was only going to be a little one... We thought, Little Wyvis suited her dreams perfectly!

The smaller of Wyvis brothers is our local winter training ground. Here I tried on crampons for the first time, over a decade ago. Back then, the only access to this Corbett was from the main Wyvis car park, but now it is possible to climb LW straight from Silver Bridge so we decided to give this new route a go.

It was blowing a hoolie on Xmas Day but it didn't deter us at all, we were desperate to have festive fun, even if it meant half frozen digits :lol: This route can be turned into a circular by adding Meall Ruighe an Fhirich (easy access via a good track to TV mast) but due to weather, today we opted for the shortest version, up and down the main track to the summit.

Track_LITTLE WYVIS 10.5KM.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From the large car park in Silverbridge we set off across the old stone bridge...
2021-12-25 little wyvis 002.JPG
Panther investigates

...which offered nice views to the waterfalls of Black Water:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 003.JPG

Having carefully crossed the A835, we had no problem finding the right route, it is waymarked "hill access this way" (or something like that). Once on the track, we walked past several farm buildings and through a metal gate onto the wide pastures below the main bulk of Little Wyvis. Here, we felt like a part of the nativity story (though I don't remember any panthers taking part in the original version!). The ox was replaced by a highland coo...
2021-12-25 little wyvis 012.JPG
Have yourself a Merry Little Wyvis time!

...and the donkey by a tame-looking Rudolf the Deer, accompanied by a flock of sheep (they obviously played the part of the shepherds):
2021-12-25 little wyvis 026.JPG
Rudolf and the sheep - sounds like a name for a Christmas band!

As we gained height on the track, we enjoyed local views, especially west to the Fannichs. We tried to ignore the omnipresent wind turbines...
2021-12-25 little wyvis 036.JPG

Loch Luichart and the peaks of Strathconon:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 041.JPG

Higher up, the track resembled an ice ring - quite a challenge if you are not mentally prepared for ice dancing :wink:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 050.JPG

An Teallach making an appearance:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 063.JPG

Strath Rannoch and An Caisteil:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 066.JPG

For the final 200m or so the track was filled with snow, which was fine by me, easier walking than the ice rink lower down!
2021-12-25 little wyvis 068.JPG

The western panorama from just below the summit:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 070.JPG

About 50m below the top, we had to stop to put on extra layers and prepare for the wind challenge! According to forecast, the gusts reached 40mph on Munro level, but even on 700m the wind was strong enough to make walking difficult!
2021-12-25 little wyvis 080.JPG
Fighting the wind

The summit was so cold and so windblown, that we just took a few photos and decided to escape this hostile, freezing world as soon as possible. Shame, because apart from the wind, weather was lovely today, cold and crispy with beautiful, blue sky above...
2021-12-25 little wyvis 088.JPG

...though Big Brother Wyvis generated some cloud (the mountain looked like it was on fire):
2021-12-25 little wyvis 084.JPG
Too windy to have our Christmas lunch, I guess...

Loch Glascarnoch and Beinn Dearg group:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 092.JPG

The outline of Strathfarrar Munros:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 096.JPG

Carn Chuinneag and some loose cloud:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 099.JPG

Liathach and Beinn Eighe:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 077.JPG

Poor Wee Lucy was blown about but she didn't complain... It was her idea after all :lol: :lol:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 104.JPG

We descended about a hundred metres on the track and found a quiet spot for a quick cuppa and mince pies (it was Christmas Day after all!). The Fannichs and Beinn Dearg to the west of us shook off the cloud cover, proudly presenting their snow-covered upper slopes in the winter sun:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 130.JPG
Brother Dearg

2021-12-25 little wyvis 129.JPG
If it wasn't for the windfarms, this could easily be my photo of the month...

Looking back at Little Wyvis from the track below:
2021-12-25 little wyvis 126.JPG

We will certainly revisit this route in less windy conditions, as it has potential for "some kinda circular" and is very close to home, so perfect for short winter days.
On Boxing Day we went out again (what else to do during winter hols if weather smiles?). Watch this space for my next TR which will be ice cold in A...chnasheen :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Have yourself a Merry Little Wyvis

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:34 pm

Great views. Happy New Year, both!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby gld73 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:19 pm

It's a nice, handy straightforward hill to do from Silverbridge, I do it once or twice a year when I've just got an afternoon free and the weather isn't perfect.
I wonder if I saw the same highland cow and stag as you :lol:
APDC4928.JPG

Happy new year :D
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby scottnairn » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:21 am

Enjoyed the report, could feel the festive spirit jingling all the way...!

I climbed Little Wyvis a week before Xmas Day and was surprised to see the lost 'reindeer' taking his holidays near Silverbridge so close to game time! :lol: :lol:

Managed to miss out on the ice which quickly followed a long weekend's worth of temperature and cloud inversions 8) well worth the time and so close to home :D

Happy New Year, wishing plenty hills in 2022 for yous!

_MG_17014.jpg
Pre-festive cheer. I had a Merry Little Wyvis, too!
scottnairn
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:42
Fionas:17   
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:3

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland