walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of Nigg, first walk of the year

Hill of Nigg, first walk of the year

Postby Hills4dogs » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:58 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Nigg

Date walked: 08/01/2022

Time taken: 1.38 hours

Distance: 5.49 km

Ascent: 161m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well this was the first hill walk of 2022, an enjoyable and not very taxing way to get the legs working again after the holidays! The question in my mind is can I continue at this rate and do 52 hills in 2022?

activity_8081878385.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having read other walk reports we decided to start in "downtown" Nigg to make the walk a bit longer. We parked in the driveway for the old Nigg Church, where there was plenty of room for a couple of cars. We followed the road up the hill around a couple of bends and then turned off to the NE on a corner at a clearly marked footpath sign. Going through the woods on the footpath was very muddy and squelchy underfoot and in numerous places there were broom and gorse bushes that had to be "pushed through" as they were leaning across the path. At the top of the wood we went in a general SE direction crossing open fields towards the summit.

One note of caution to other dog owners, the fields are clearly a roosting place for flocks of canadian geese. The fields were well covered with bird poop, which meant that Dill couldn't be off the lead otherwise we would still be up there as he sampled the smorgasbord of delights!

As we got to the top of the hill, much to my dread we came across a few cows! Having had a bad interaction with cows and dogs in the past, I am quite a feartie when it comes to cows. So our stop at the top was a very brief one just to get a photo and make a rapid retreat in the direction we came up, away from the beasts!

20220108_133841.jpg
Kirsteen bravely keeping the cows back while I took a photo of the top with the Cromarty Firth in the background!

We then decided rather than retracing our steps completely and having to go back through the muddy woods, we went straight down the hill to the road and back to Nigg

20220108_134734.jpg
Dill checking the cows weren't pursuing us on the way down, with the Cromarty Firth views and you can just make out a snowy Ben Wyvis in the background (although my phone doesn't do it justice!)

Not the most inspiring of hills, but good to get the legs working again!
Hills4dogs
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:10
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:36   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland