walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Don't miss the Ullapool hill paths!

Don't miss the Ullapool hill paths!

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:04 pm

Route description: Ullapool and Loch Achall, Ullapool

Date walked: 17/05/2021

Distance: 12 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's hard to believe I spent a week on a family holiday in a house very close to the start of the "Ullapool Hill Paths" and didn't venture up them. It was back in April 2007 when Peter was recovering from a bad dose of Lyme disease and that would have affected what we chose to do.... but from my perspective now it's strange to think I could spend a week in that house and not even consider going up there.

Over the next 14 years this route probably didn't register on my radar because it didn't include any classified hill to be climbed - showing how lists can get in the way of some fine walking. I might not have been aware of this area at all had Rob and Mary not spoken about taking the bus [on more than one occasion] to walk up the Ullapool hill paths. I was intrigued to know why they would go more than once and when Moira and I eventually decided to go it was mainly because we couldn't think of anything else we hadn't done in the time we had.

The day it finally happened started off cloudy but was predicted to improve as the day went on. We parked at the public car park next to Tesco and walked back to the A835 going north, turning right into Broom Court which is signed for Ullapool hill paths. It's a steady climb on an excellent path and almost immediately we had good views over the houses to Loch Broom. We watched the Calmac ferry heading off on its regular crossing to Stornoway, reminding me of the blustery April day we unwisely ordered lasagne and chips on board before sailing into strong wind and choppy seas... and were revisited by lasagne and chips half way across the Minch.

Ferry leaving for Stornoway (Moira's photo)
187021813_10159117365973788_7076062694485958591_n.jpg

Ferry above Moira's head and Beinn Ghobhlach topped with cloud
IMG_1428c.JPG

A riot of gorse
IMG_1429c.JPG

Ullapool was founded in 1788 as a herring port and was designed by Thomas Telford who built the Caledonian canal. Before then it was a small hamlet of just over 20 households. Then when herring stocks collapsed it was on to mackerel and when mackerel declined the focus turned to lobsters and prawns. Ullapool has weathered the changes and the harbour is still used as a fishing port, yachting haven, and ferry port.

IMG_1432c.JPG

A835 heading NW in direction of the Summer lsles
IMG_1433c.JPG

We could see from a distance the path winding up rocky Meall Mor, but when we reached it, walked on past thinking that might not be it. We quickly realised it was and turned back as we didn't want to miss the best viewpoint of the day. It seems strange Meall Mor isn't classified as a Sub 2000 when the Black Isle's almost invisible Mount Eagle is.

Meall Mor ahead
IMG_1434c.JPG

It's a good wee hill and ideal for taking a child for their first experience of climbing a hill, with nice craggy bits to scramble over at the top. Not that Moira and I had any small child or even a dog with us on this day.

Seat with a view just below summit
IMG_1436c.JPG

Meall Mor summit
IMG_1435c.JPG

Upper Loch Broom and hills in cloud
IMG_1437c.JPG

Flat-topped Beinn Ghobhlach now clear of cloud
IMG_1439c.JPG

Our next target was Loch Achall with its pleasing sense of remoteness, yet surprisingly close to a busy tourist hub. It's possible to drive a good part of the way, but that's not as satisfying as walking it. Returning from the detour up Meall Mor another seat is reached from where a clear path marked with a yellow marker post heads NE over heathery moorland. For us it was late spring with the blazing yellow of gorse but it would be equally spectacular in August with the heather in bloom.

IMG_1440c.JPG

Zoomed NE to Loch Achall
IMG_1442c.JPG

Good dry path
IMG_1443c.JPG

But not so dry where the cattle gather
IMG_1444c.JPG

The path emerges at a track where you turn left and follow it until a tarmac road where you turn right. This leads to a bridge at the Eas Dubh waterfall, described as spectacular, but which from the vantage point of the bridge it really wasn't.

Bridge over Eas Dubh waterfall
IMG_1445c.JPG

Ullapool River
IMG_1448c.JPG

The road took us to Loch Achall where we turned on to a rough track and found ourselves stones to sit on under a row of trees. It was a peaceful spot and we had it all to ourselves.

Lochside row of blighted trees
IMG_1449c.JPG

IMG_1450c.JPG

IMG_1452c.JPG

For the return we followed the track alongside the river passing the remains of the original bridge where guys on the other side shouted over, asking if there was a way across. We said apart from wading, it didn't look like it. The sign announcing this to be a dangerous bridge seemed a bit unnecessary in that there was none of it left!

Original bridge over Ullapool River
IMG_1453c.JPG

A path continues from there to the road and the bridge by the Eas Dubh waterfall and I went to see if the falls were any more spectacular from along the river bank.

IMG_1455c.JPG

Eas Dubh waterfall more visible from this angle
IMG_1456c.JPG

Staying on the road we passed through an attractive woodland of mainly birch surrounded by the most extensive carpet of primroses I've ever seen.

Photo so doesn't do it justice I nearly didn't use it. They just went on and on and on.

IMG_1460c.JPG

IMG_1458c.JPG

Quarry
IMG_1462c.JPG

We passed Ullapool limestone quarry, the road running gently downhill until we reached a sign on the left just before a cattle grid, which we followed uphill to eventually reach the hill path we had started off on.

Signed path before cattle grid
IMG_1463c.JPG

IMG_1465c.JPG

IMG_1466c.JPG

We both agreed it had been a great walk and wondered why it had taken us so long to get here!

IMG_1467c.JPG

Back in Ullapool we paid our usual visit to The Ceilidh Place
IMG_0779c.JPG

IMG_1468c.JPG

The harbour area is always worth a wander and gives fine views of the east facing houses that front the village.

IMG_0775c.JPG

IMG_0777c.JPG

IMG_0769c.JPG
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland