walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dalwhinnie Duo with Storm

Dalwhinnie Duo with Storm

Postby martin1909 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:42 pm

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 11/01/2022

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 743m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not much to write about so not publishing this one.

Started the day the best way, with a bacon roll from Clarks 24 hour bakery. Went and got Storm after.

Had to nip back home to get my jacket that I'd forgotten

Drove up to Balsporran B&B, parked up, got ready and set off.

Car park and first km or so of path was like an ice rink. As were some of the roads in Pitlochry.

Stopped a few times on way up to let dog pee.

Heading up the hill took 1st right instead of second so had to cross bog to get back to path. Storm was loving the adventure.

Heading up Gael Charn and there was some deep snow in parts but no snow in other parts. Snow cover maybe 60% ish.

About halfway up there was a lone fence post. Stopped here for a snack and gave storm a treat. Heard a loud roar, turned around to see a Eurofighter Typhoon flying low through the glen above the A9. What a sight.

First time out with the Scarpa Manta Tech GTX boots and they were doing great.

Reaching the top of first Munro, Geal Charn, it got windy and some snow. Storm was a but nervy as she's never been in an environment like this but a wee bowl of food calmed her and she was rearing to go.

I had my sandwiches here as well as I was peckish and this got me ready for the second ascent.

Leaving the 1st Munro Storm saw a few Mountain Hare so was pulling me like mad on the way down.

Thermometer showed about -1/-3 at this point.

Heading down to the Bealach the views over to Ben Alder were stunning. Ben Alder & Beinn Bheoil both make up a huge mass of rock emerging from the ground. A stunning sight.

Decided not to follow the WH route up A'Mharconich but instead cut a diagonal up the mountain. Probs not the best as this way means that the final 20/30 metres are steeper compared to the WH route but I decided on it anyway. A walker behind us got Storm very nervous. Her tail was in between her legs and she let out a slight growl as she wondered who the stranger was following her up this, to her, strange environment. Conditions under foot going up the second weren’t to bad. Like the first some patches of deep snow but nothing crampon worthy.

Got to the top of A'Mharconich and was going to have a snack and feed Storm but it was somewhat wild up here and the dog was looking at me as if to say "don’t you effing take me any place like this again" so we headed down about 150 metres where it was a bit more sheltered and ate then.

We headed down A'Mharconich as per the WH route and it was very enjoyable. Some cracking views over the A9 to where Carn na Caim and A' Bhuidheanach Bheag are. Some deep pockets of snow.

As balls of snow tumbled down Storm was loving it and chased after them, once putting me on my face. Thankfully I fell onto snow, so no harm done, and it was rather funny.

The walk down was indistinct in terms of a path which for large parts was snow covered but there were many different footprints and even the prints of some snowshoes that I was able to follow on and off.

As the path flattened off, we approached the burn. Three walkers before us crossed the fence onto the railway tracks, crossed the railway bridge and then exited the tracks at the crossing at the other side but having the dog with me meant this was not an option.

I decided to ford the river. The dog was not impressed but she made it over with some encouragement.

Got back to the car and the dog was glad to be able to lie down on the back seat as supposed to the frozen ground of the summits.

Cracking day out and was a nice change having a 4 legged companion (her name is Storm for those wondering what Storm I was referring to earlier in the report) for a wee change.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_2464.JPG
Storm looking back on where we have came from

IMG_2466.JPG
Heading up the incline to where the incline shallows

IMG_2479.JPG
The shallower incline before the summit plateau

IMG_2486.JPG
Storm atop her first Munro

IMG_2488.JPG
Looking over to A' Mharconaich

IMG_2496.JPG
Looking down towards the Bealach between the two mountains

IMG_2501.JPG
Ben Alder & Beinn Bheoil. A huge mass of rock

IMG_2503.JPG
The Scarpa's doing a good job

IMG_2505.JPG
Storm leading the way up the mountain

IMG_2512.JPG
Mountain Hare

IMG_2519.JPG
Approaching the summit. Another walker approaches from the other side

IMG_2521.JPG
Storms second Munro

IMG_2522.JPG
Looking down the ridge leading back to the car park

IMG_2528.JPG
Looking back over to Geal Charn

IMG_2530.JPG
Continuing down

IMG_2536.JPG
Scotrail HST passing Balsporran B&B. The car can be seen closest to the bridge

IMG_2551.JPG
Heading back over the level crossing

IMG_2554.JPG
Looking back at the two Munros

IMG_2555.JPG
A' Mharconaich summit just obscured by clouds
martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland