walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Did the tree that fell on Waughton Hill make a sound?

Did the tree that fell on Waughton Hill make a sound?

Postby litljortindan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:15 pm

Route description: Waughton Hill and the White Horse, from Strichen

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Waughton Hill

Date walked: 11/01/2022

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 340m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A pleasant walk over easy and interesting terrain.

Not the Mormond Stag!

The Mormond Horse or should it be the Waughton Horse?

The path follows the west side of the fence between the farm track and Waughton Hill and then curves uphill from the corner of the field to pass the Horse's head.

It is a subdued sunrise with Peterhead power station prominent on the south eastern horizon.

Did someone know I was coming? If so, I was only momentarily stung by the criticism.

Horse's ear.

I briefly follow this wider track before heading north to Hunter's Lodge and then Waughton Hill.

Glad to see that these small trees survived storm Arwen.

Hunter's Lodge.

View east to Mormond Hill.

Hunter's Lodge from Waughton Hill.

The Waughton Hill slopes are a mix of pleasant, flat grass and some more tussocky areas. Very pleasant to walk on where non-tussocky.

These mini moguls are not bad to walk though.

I cut southeast from Waughton Hill to re-join the wider track that runs to Mormond Hill. A direct traverse from Waughton Hill to Mormond Hill woiuld be ok I think, if a bit boggy.

Despite the giant middens either side of the track it is pleasant to walk along with an extensive view southwards over Aberdeenshire.

Eventually I encounter a bit of storm damage with a large fir tree fallen across the track.

The evergreen track dips and curves a bit before rising to Mormond Hill.

Looking back at Hunter's Lodge.

Had a wander around the Morond Hill area, first diverting on another track to see if I could get a view of the Stag (I didn't) and then cutting uphill through the heather to eventually re-join the main track. Knees still not up to that sort of terrain so it was a relief to get back to easy walking. I went part way round the perimeter fence, not realising that if I'd gone all the way round I might have got a view of the Stag. Oh well, next time.

View of Fraserburgh to the north,

Heading back the way I came.

Strichen, Knock Hill and Hunter's Lodge.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland