walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hods Hill instead of a motorway service station

Hods Hill instead of a motorway service station

Postby gld73 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:38 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hods Hill

Date walked: 13/01/2022

Time taken: 1.3 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 230m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rather than going via Edinburgh, for a change I was doing the drive from West Cumbria to Inverness directly. Didn't get the early-ish start I'd hoped for which would have given me enough daylight time to do 2 walks up small hills on the way, but at least I managed one in place of pulling over at a service station for a break. Not having a map for the area where I was wanting to stop, I needed a hill which was straightforward (I don't like just relying on a phone map), and Hods Hill fitted the bill - a short, easy marilyn which wasn't too far off the A74(M).

I parked at the Daer waterworks up towards the dam and followed the Southern Upland Way (signed) which passed within about 100m of the actual summit. Hopped over a fence to the summit, and returned the same way. I'm not getting the chance for many big hill days just now, but bagging any hill when I get a chance in decent weather is appreciated, even wee 'uns like this.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8119.JPG
I walked the short distance up the access road to near the dam (turns out I could have parked there), then took the waymarked path up - this looking back at the start of the walk on to Daer reservoir and dam

APDC8120.JPG
The trodden path was clear on the ground, but Southern Upland Way markers also made the route one that was hard to lose

APDC8121.JPG
Another benefit to following this bit of the SUW was nice stiles over the fences to Hods Hill straight ahead

APDC8122.JPG
Looking back to the reservoir again

APDC8123.JPG
This was where I left the SUW for the short walk to what is, apparently, the actual summit. Climbed over the fence at this wooden section and followed the fence along about a 100m metres.

APDC8124.JPG
Hods Hill summit. No impressive cairn, just a slight turn in the fence!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Hods Hill instead of a motorway service station

Postby Robertgee » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:46 pm

Enjoyed reading your report, as it's one I climbed 19 years ago when walking the Southern Upland Way...or at least I THOUGHT I'd climbed it. :shock: It was when you said you'd to leave the path and go 100m to reach the true summit, I realised I hadn't done that, just sticking to the main path. In my defence, the OS map 50K version has, what I thought, the summit of 567m on the SUW path. It's only when looking at the 25K map, does it have the summit a little further north, off the main path at 569m.

I'm currently climbing all the Marilyns in the south of Scotland, with only 5 left, all in Galloway. So can I still claim to have climbed Hods Hill? :? What do people think? Will I have to return, and do it properly? :lol:
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Postby gld73 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:53 pm

I can't imagine anyone will begrudge you claiming it; all you missed was a hop over a fence and a very short walk along the exact same terrain you'd been doing before and after. Your secret is safe here ... :shh: :-D
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Robertgee » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:29 am

Thanks gld73, I'll likely give a return visit a miss for the time being. Though as the Daer is less than an hours drive from home, it could be a nice short afternoon walk sometime in the summer.

Looks like this hill catches a few people out. I've had a look at the trip reports, and see Fife Flyer and Graeme D both have route maps that fail to reach the true top. So thank goodness it's not just me :lol:
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland