walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First corbett The Cobbler

First corbett The Cobbler

Postby IainWhite » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 12/04/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 920m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Myself and 2 work mates thought we would get some trainning in for the Caledonian Challange 2011, so on Sunday we thought lets do the Cobbler.

We thought a early start would be good, so we met at the carpark at soccoth at half 7. got our kit together and off we went, the weather was warm and sunny and a bit hazy so we walked up the zig zag path up through the forrest. came out off the trees and we got to the well maintained path which lead you to the Cobbler, and we got our first view off it wow it kind off took my breath way look so beautifull with a clear blue sky behind it, we reached the Narnian boulders and a bite to eat the views were amazing off Ben Narnian( on my to do list). We set off again shortly we came to the fork in the path so we decided to take the right hand path, a short time after the we reached the steps which would take us up the side off the Cobbler found it pritty easy, once the steps were out the way we followed the path to the central peaks, we decided to take the path to the left to the nothern peak a short scramble to the top with great views off the pinnical and south peak, but my goal was to get to the pinnical, I left the other 2 and made my way back down the path I came to the ridge and made my way to the pinnical, a short scramble and i was there :D and it was worth it, a few photos a bite to eat taking in the views. and wathing my work mates on the other sumit, the good thing about starting early there was no one else on the hill which was a real bonus, as i heard it can be like Sauchiehall St sometimes if its a good day.we made our was back to the ridge, and decided to take a differant route back down.

We took the path which is underneath the over hang which was great, scrambling on the way down which i really enjoied hard but good, and on the way back down the hill was getting really busy and before we new it we were back at the massive boulders and it was a straight forward walk back to the car park. I must admit i really loved the Cobbler what a great walk, I will be back
Attachments
Photo0544.jpg
Photo0543.jpg
Photo0542.jpg
Photo0541.jpg
Photo0540.jpg
Photo0538.jpg
Photo0537.jpg
Photo0536.jpg
Photo0535.jpg
Photo0534.jpg
Photo0533.jpg
Photo0532.jpg
Photo0531.jpg
Photo0530.jpg
Photo0528.jpg
Photo0527.jpg
Photo0526.jpg
Photo0525.jpg
Photo0524.jpg
Photo0523.jpg
Photo0522.jpg
Photo0521.jpg
Photo0520.jpg
Photo0519.jpg
Photo0518.jpg
IainWhite

Munros:11   Corbetts:1

Re: First corbett The Cobbler

Postby Jockstar » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:02 pm

I passed the Cobbler at the end of last year whilst climbing Narnain and it really catches the eye . :D Its one hell of a peice of rock. Definately one to do. Did you go through the eye onto the top? Hope you go on all right on the Caledonian Challenge.....will watch for the report :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby PeteR » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:05 pm

An all time favourite of mine the Cobbler. I must get back there again soon I think. Some great pictures there too :D Good luck with the Caledonian Challange 2011 by the way. Have you ever done this before? I think it was 2008 that I was convinced it would be fun :lol: Well looking back it was fun. One of the best experiences of my life to be honest. I hope the sun shines for you all on the day (and that you have a cooling breeze too :) )
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby jonny616 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Nice one Iain

One of my all time fav hills. Glad you had a good day for it.

Regards

jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Jockstar wrote: :D Its one hell of a peice of rock. Definately one to do. :D

Seconded.... Excellent pictures, showing how beautiful this hill is :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Looks a cracking hill, not done it yet but keep seeing it on here, rarely have I seen better pics of it though, congratulations on your first corbett :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland