walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mendick Hill

Mendick Hill

Postby rob munbett » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mendick Hill

Date walked: 16/01/2022

Time taken: 2.15 hours

Distance: 8.4 km

Ascent: 348m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast for Sunday was dry, crisp and cold so I fancied a walk up a hill. However, I had arranged to meet up with some friends at the gym in the afternoon, so a short day was called for. I drove down from Glasgow to park in a large lay-by on the south side of the road in Dolphinton. I had seen on Google Earth that there was a waymarked right of way from Dolphinton to West Linton that would take me to the base of the hill. I set off along this, in places, very muddy path until I could see a pretty clear track up the steep hillside.
IMG_20220116_103234.jpg
Mendick Hill from the walk in along the right of way
IMG_20220116_104134.jpg
Mendick Hill
I crossed some rough pasture and headed up this track up to crest before the final pull up to the summit. By now the icy wind was cutting through my layers and my cheeks (facial!) were getting numb. The views, though, were well worth the effort - N.E. to the Pentlands and S.W. to Black Mount.
IMG_20220116_111738.jpg
A view over The Pentlands from the summit
IMG_20220116_111814.jpg
The summit trig with Black Mount beyond
Despite the cold, I sat for a short time on the wooden bench (yes, a bench on the summit!) to enjoy a hot drink and a snack. I considered staying high up and heading to pt. 362 before descending but the cold persuaded me otherwise so I just went back down to the R.O.W. path and sauntered out in the winter sunshine. A quick drive up the M74 got me back in time to meet my friends at the gym for a bit more exercise - perhaps a bit less gym work than a usual Sunday afternoon. I would certainly recommend this short walk - the views are well worth it.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland