walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Farragon Hill from the south

Farragon Hill from the south

Postby JaneToothill » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:03 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Farragon Hill

Date walked: 16/01/2022

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 800m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I don't often post but was short on detail when I planned this walk, and didn't want to use a mine track to get up a hill! The south side is pleasant and hopefully the following info is useful for anyone thinking about access from this side.

There is roadside parking on the back road from Aberfeldy via Edradynate to Strathtay just SW od Edradynate at 882514. Go early; it gets used by the shooting/fishing crowd who will fill it when they arrive. I cycled to start with; NE along the road to 888519. A tarmaced road leaves by a small house with a sign saying no motor vehicles.

Keep heading uphill, signed towards Lurgan Farm; the track is good. I met the farmer and no grumbles at me being there.
200m or so before Lurgan Farm, take the track uphill to the left instead of going on to the farm, a bit steeper and rougher. From here it's straight on all the way. Close to Loch Derculich take a left turn, ignoring the road to the boat house (it's a quite grand for a boat house) - this is obvious on the map, and comes to a locked gate at 862546, just before the track from Loch Glassie joins. There's a high stile; I left my bike here.

The track onwards is cycleable; no way to know whether or not, if I'd approached from Loch Glassie or Brae of Cluny, I could have got this far with the bike but ended up on the top side of the gate - in which case I could have cycled right up to the watershed. The next gate has a red flag to fly; happily it was down this day, and the men I met with bikes and guns were also happy with me being there - but certainly a location to check out beforehand if you visit in the main stalking season.

It's a nice walk from this point and a case of picking your way among bogs lower down and rocks higher up. There's quite a few small tracks to find along the way.
JaneToothill
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland