walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhuidhe from Inverie via Mam Meadail

Beinn Bhuidhe from Inverie via Mam Meadail

Postby DaveSan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:09 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 30/05/2021

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1120m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast was for a mostly warm and sunny day as I set off at 9am on the main path out of Inverie to the NW along Gleann an Dubh-Lochain. After the monument on the knoll above the path on the left, I looked for the path to the bridge over the Inverie River and eventually saw a tiny cairn and a small path off to the right (it's quite easy to miss if you're strolling along looking up at the surrounding peaks - that's my excuse anyway!). Once over the bridge I started up the gently ascending path through Gleann Meadail and got chatting to a couple who were doing the same route as me (heading to the top of the Mam Meadail and traversing Beinn Bhuidhe from east to west). We met up a few more times during the day before they eventually left me behind on the long steep descent down to Inverie.
IMG_20210530_09312_darker.jpg
Start of track up Gleann Meadail

IMG_20210530_111028818.jpg
First glimpse of Sgurr na Ciche

From the pass, excellent views were to be had across to the hills in Glendessary (especially the iconic pointy peak of Sgurr na Ciche) and Ben Aden. The latter looked a fair distance away - climbing it this way from Inverie would be a very long and tough day (would be a lot shorter if you could share the costs of hiring a local boat to take you to Camusrory!).
IMG_20210530_111800976.jpg
View from Mam Meadail

I sat in the sunshine at the pass, gazing at the views and girding my loins for the pull up to the eastern end of Beinn Bhuidhe. Knowing I'd get an even better view higher up, I started up the first peak on the ridge, Meall Bhasiter - this involved a fair amount of traversing up and around rocky outcrops but once on top, the onward undulating ridge to the summit of Beinn Bhuidhe was more obvious and I reached that around 1:30pm. This was a superb spot to rest awhile in the sunshine with terrific views all round. The couple I had chatted to earlier caught me up and we stayed together for much of the descent (socially distanced!).
IMG_20210530_1334_cropped.jpg
Looking back along east ridge from near top - superb views to Glendessary peaks and beyond

IMG_20210530_120305997.jpg
Summit of Beinn Bhuidhe not far away with glimpses of Loch Nevis on left

IMG_20210530_134035420.jpg
Looking due west - Skye in the far distance

IMG_20210530_134048190.jpg
Another view to Glendessary peaks

The route onwards was fairly straightforward but quite long as height was gradually lost. The last main peak on the ridge was reached, Sgurr Coire nan Gobhar but a direct descent to the west was barred by crags, so a detour took us down the SW ridge for a short way before turning to the right and a view of Loch Bhraomisaig directly ahead, but still 300 mtrs below.
IMG_20210530_152630596.jpg
Loch Bhraomisaig from Sgurr Coire nan Gobhar - still looking a long way down

Steep slopes of long grass made for a slow descent as we headed for the gap between the two parts of the loch, and then further steep slopes all the way down to the houses at Kilchoan - this last section I took quite slowly and my walking companions shot ahead - I never saw them again!
I was glad to get back onto a flat stony path and back to the tent to crack open a beer and enjoy the early evening sunshine - a hugely enjoyable if quite long day (over 9 hours of walking).
IMG_20210530_205750073_HDR.jpg
Inverie beach campsite
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DaveSan
Mountain Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:221
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Hewitts:131
Wainwrights:194   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland