walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A glimpse of the Fannichs

A glimpse of the Fannichs

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:47 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: An Cabar

Date walked: 06/07/2021

Time taken: 1.47 hours

Distance: 3.18 km

Ascent: 294m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A good day in amoungst a lot of bad, Malky suggested using the bikes to get to Loch Fannich. This was somewhere I'd never been to so I was keen - we've discovered that I can generally do more on my bike than on foot and it gives me a feeling of having actually achieved something. Of course, this works better on the flat.

We parked up in the lay-by just after Lochluichart and got going - the track went uphill quite steeply to begin with - not a great sign :roll:

Although I was feeling knackered already, there was no denying it was a stunning glen and definitely worth exploring

Once past the initial bit of track, it did level out a bit and made for better progress. Of course we then dropped a bit towards the loch - great news for now, but of course we would have to climb back out afterwards :?

The impressive Faire nam Fiadh on the end of An Coileachan

We had reached the dam

The track continued along the side of Loch Fannich - not all the way - but we were only going a short distance anyway. Malky wanted to go up An Cabar - from here it was a very short distance and he reckoned I could do it. I should probably stop listening to him.... :roll:

Looking down Loch Fannich to Fionn Bheinn - impressive!

We dumped the bikes and set off on foot - Malky wearing uncharacteristically bright shorts

Short and steep

Further round - Creag a' Chaise & Faire nam Fiadh

As we climbed (or stumbled) upwards we started to see Beinn Dearg appear

Loch Fannich

To be fair, the ground underfoot wasn't bad - there was plenty of rock especially higher up. I was just tired, and should not have been trying to do stuff like this (the benefit of highsight eh :roll: )

Our track home winding away

Finally at the summit, the views were awesome - there was barely a breath of wind (and we all know what that means in the summer :shock: ) but I had to have a break because I was pooped.

Beinn Dearg zoomed

Fionn Bheinn with the Monar hills to the left

Sgurr a' Mhuillin

Jaxter on An Cabar

Ben Wyvis & Loch Luichart

Looking down Loch Fannich there was a bit of weather moving across otherwise it would be been a view straight into the Fisherfield :roll:

Happy to be here - it's just the getting there and getting back that's horrible :crazy:

Fionn Bheinn

It was time to get going - it could be hard work getting back. We dropped off the summit and tried to follow a similar route back down

Back at the bikes the cloud was definitely coming in - our lovely sun had gone :(

The climb out of the loch wasn't as bad as I'd feared but I was still pretty knackered

Fortunately the last wee bit was basically a free-wheel and I was very happy to be back at the car and able to zonk out on the way home. In hindsight, even this version of "doing less" was far too much, but at the time I seemed to be happy to keep bashing my head against a wall in the hope that it would help :crazy: :roll: :lol:

Cycle: 17.11km, 182m ascent, 1 hour 40 mins
Attachments

An_Cabar.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

activity_7080310687.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: A glimpse of the Fannichs

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:51 am

I've still never ventured up that way, looks good. Thanks for showing its worth the trip.

It seems Loch Fannich didn't need a dam last summer!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland