walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Ruadh-stac - an entertaining half-day

An Ruadh-stac - an entertaining half-day

Postby DaveSan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:32 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: An Ruadh-stac

Date walked: 01/07/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 960m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After five excellent days walking in the fabulous NW, I was homeward bound. As per usual, I was hoping to take in a hill on the way back and An Ruadh-stac fitted the bill perfectly as it was only a short drive from Kinlochewe and would only take a morning's effort.
I parked at Coulags in the car park just west of the bridge over the Fionn-abhainn and set off in bright sunshine at 7:45am up the track heading north. I followed the track on the east bank of the river for a while then crossed over to the west side, past a bothy and at a path junction, turned left and made my way up the uncomfortably stony path up to the Bealach a' Choire Ghairbh. I had walked this path before when climbing the Munro, Maol Chean-dearg way back in December 1998 when I was a member of the Reading Mountaineering Club. At the bealach, got my first view of the dramatic east face of An Ruadh-stac.
IMG_20210701_092423122.jpg

I took the path that contoured to the left to a small saddle and then to the right up a rocky ridge and down to the saddle at the foot of the east face. This had looked intimidating and steep from a distance, but close up was not too bad. From the bottom I headed up the centre on large quartzite slabs that were nice and grippy (probably less so in the wet!). Higher up, the going was more broken and required a bit of careful scrambling over and around large boulders. Finally, at 10:40am I made it to the large summit cairn and sat down to enjoy the solitude and cracking views and tucking into my last remaining snack bars.
IMG_20210701_104044866_HDR.jpg
Summit cairn, Maol Chean-dearg behind

IMG_20210701_104117669.jpg
The craggy north face of the Graham, Sgurr a' Gharaidh to the south

Beinn Damh.jpg
Beinn Damh with Beinn Alligin in the distance on the right

Reluctantly, I set off back down, looking for the most stable rocks and outcrops and being guided by a few small cairns. Lower down I was back on the large quartzite slabs and zigzagged my way down to the saddle at the bottom of the face. Instead of traversing over the rocky ridge, I contoured around to the left just above the two lochans and joined the main path at the large bealach.
IMG_20210701_113157057_HDR.jpg
Looking back up the east face

IMG_20210701_115640476.jpg
One last view before heading down

On the way down, I stopped several times to chat with people coming up - nearly all were going for the Munro (the easier and less interesting option!). If I'd had the time and energy, I would have detoured to take in the Munro as it was only another 340m of height gain from the bealach. On hindsight I wished I had, as since that day, I've decided to officially start on my second round of Munros!
I ambled down the stony track to the river and then jogged/walked on the main track back to the car. A few miles down the road, I detoured a few miles to Lochcarron for diet cokes - it was going to be a warm drive back.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DaveSan
Mountain Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:221
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Hewitts:131
Wainwrights:194   

Re: An Ruadh-stac - an entertaining half-day

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:20 pm

Great photos - but surely An Ruadh-stac must look red from somewhere - or did whoever named it have problems with colour blindness :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby DaveSan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:34 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Great photos - but surely An Ruadh-stac must look red from somewhere - or did whoever named it have problems with colour blindness :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe only if you look at it through rose-tinted spectacles :lol:
Brian Johnson in his Corbetts guide book suggests that there might have been a misunderstanding between the OS surveyor and a local shepherd when he first named the peak - possibly confusing it with its close neighbour Maol Chean-dearg which definitely does have red coloration due to sandstone boulders on its summit.
DaveSan
Mountain Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:221
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Hewitts:131
Wainwrights:194   

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:39 pm

DaveSan wrote:
past my sell by date wrote:Great photos - but surely An Ruadh-stac must look red from somewhere - or did whoever named it have problems with colour blindness :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe only if you look at it through rose-tinted spectacles :lol:
Brian Johnson in his Corbetts guide book suggests that there might have been a misunderstanding between the OS surveyor and a local shepherd when he first named the peak - possibly confusing it with its close neighbour Maol Chean-dearg which definitely does have red coloration due to sandstone boulders on its summit.

Yes Maol Chean Dearg is definitely red,
I have thoughts about the OS surveyor going round to one valley writing down a whole load of peak names and then in the adjacent valley being told that it was all a load of bollox :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:34 pm

Nice report Dave! We were also up there last summer.

DaveSan wrote:Brian Johnson in his Corbetts guide book suggests that there might have been a misunderstanding between the OS surveyor and a local shepherd when he first named the peak - possibly confusing it with its close neighbour Maol Chean-dearg which definitely does have red coloration due to sandstone boulders on its summit.

Yes, it's an odd one - on Beinn Eighe both Ruadh-stac Mor and Ruadh-stac Beag are similarly quartzitey and not very red, and nor is Sgurr Dubh in Glen Torridon very black!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby prog99 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:45 pm

Might be a record here https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/ just stick a hill name into the search box,
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:09 pm

Peter Drummond's book "Scottish Hill Names" doesn't shed a great deal of light on this. Ruadh is more of a reddish-brown / ginger colour, compared to Dearg which is more bright red/scarlet. Ruadh hill names are mostly confined to the north-west, whereas Dearg is more widespread. He even gets it a bit wrong about Ruadh-stac Mor (Beinn Eighe), saying it rises above the sandstone pillars of the coire (the top above the triple buttresses in Coinneach Mhor).

A summary of a talk he gave on this topic does say: "The reasons for naming locations with colour terms, however, are not always obvious." (https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A3=ind1202&L=COLOURSTUDIES&E=quoted-printable&P=13302&B=------%3D_NextPart_000_000E_01CCE335.1F5E0910&T=text%2Fhtml;%20charset=utf-8)
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:56 am

While wondering about the colour of An Ruadh Stac, I completely failed to notice that none of your photos show a single speck of snow - In mid January - amazing. :shock: I fear global warming is approaching must faster than predicted - but at least there doesn't appear to be any sign of the Gulf Stream inverting :) :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby dav2930 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:57 am

past my sell by date wrote:While wondering about the colour of An Ruadh Stac, I completely failed to notice that none of your photos show a single speck of snow - In mid January - amazing. :shock: I fear global warming is approaching must faster than predicted - but at least there doesn't appear to be any sign of the Gulf Stream inverting :) :lol:

You'd think those photos were taken in July rather than January, wouldn't you Tony? :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:17   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland