walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie with the Intrepid Dog

Ben Chonzie with the Intrepid Dog

Postby 80RJ » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:08 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 23/01/2022

Time taken: 3.33 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 710m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the first Munro done with my Intrepid Dog (who is 18mths old and a floofy cocker spaniel - not the super mad working strain).

Once through the towns and villages, the final drive up through the woods to the start of the walk is really pretty. I went quite early on a Sunday morning and it was lovely and quiet but on the way back it was much busier and required ample use of passing places.

The parking was surprisingly easy and organised at the start of the walk. Get there early to bag a spot. I was there at 9am and there were about 5 spaces left.

The guide book describes this as a boring hill. On the way up it's nothing spectacular but if you stop and turn around a few times you'll see another perspective entirely. It was very clear at the lower heights and the views to snow-capped mountains looking south were lovely. The track is easy - it's steep in places but it's made for a land rover so walking it is fine.

The Intrepid Dog was on his lead as there are lots of birds and hares. Although he's a bit daft and can't catch them, he'd give it a good go and I didn't fancy having to track him on the GPS to pull him out of mischief. He did, however, ensnare himself in the heather multiple times which required periodic attention to untangle sticks and twigs from his arse or legs or belly. He lets me know when he needs a hand as he just sits down and looks helpless.

The turn off the path and up the main part of the mountain is entirely different. Boggy, muddy, slippy. And the wind suddenly picked up too. It gets very steep and the wind was roaring by the time we saw The Fence. The cloud cover was dense in parts so The Fence was a god send. At the cairn on the top there were people already there so it was a very quick stop for a snack, get my gloves out, and depart. But not before a bunch of young lads arrived wearing Adidas tracksuits. I watched in awe and bemusement as one pulled up his hoodie over his head to try to light a fag inside his jumper - not a chance! They must have been frozen despite the good spirits. They stayed for a photo and turned back at the same time I left. I also passed two folk in shorts. It was at this point I was proud of myself for having worn thermals so again I thought they were mad too.

Coming down the wind got worse. The Intrepid Dog looked like he was facing a hairdryer with his fur blowing. Once we came past the fence markers and back to the path the steepness was a bit sharp but welcome - speedy descent! The path back to the cars was really busy insofar as there were lots of people walking around you in the same direction. It reminded me of Ben Nevis in the summer. I clocked the tracksuited boys walking down off the mountain by an obscure route which was going to mean they missed the bog on the track but would have to somehow navigate the burn and wouldn't be able to see any other muddy areas until they stood in them.....

I carried on down surrounded by couples all chatting happily and putting the world to rights. You can hear a lot with the wind in the right direction. Moira from floor 6 sounded a right laugh given what happened on the Friday night...

Once back at the car, the Intrepid Dog had a chew stick and I had some hot orange as we sat in the boot warming up and changing into shoes to drive home in. The boys in tracksuits arrived back in small groups and left quite quickly. They looked pleased with themselves - even the one in the very, very muddy trainers.
Attachments
ITKN3463[1].JPG
The Intrepid Dog and I sheltering at a cairn for a picture.
80RJ
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland