walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Coyles of Muick & Meall Dubh

The Coyles of Muick & Meall Dubh

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:51 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: The Coyles of Muick

Date walked: 12/04/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 490m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

MrsW was so impressed with her jaunt up Craiglich at the weekend that she fancied a 'bigger hill' today, as I had not yet done the Coyles of Muick I thought this would make a suitable walk for her and keep my 'new scenery' coming.

There is a nice wide area allowing parking without disrupting traffic where the road turns back on itself at NO 349 928.

A short time getting kitted out and we're heading south down a level track.

Very soon after the cattle grid there is a turning to the right that we take

The track begins to ascend here at a very comfortable pace and provides easy going.

As we ascend the view to the east opens up occasionally giving nice views of the hills around cairn leuchan

As the track turns back on itself and continues its gentle ascent there are glimpses north over Ballater

After taking a bearing we cut up through a xmas tree plantation to meet the track that runs around the east side of the Craig of Loinmiue, which gave us a nice steep ascent for a while. A short walk along the track brought us out into the open again with views to the north-east over Ballater.

From here we walked/scrambled over dead/fallen trees alongside corrie burn directly up toward Meall Dubh

I was pleased to break out of the damn dead trees by the time we reached the tree line and a glance at MrsW told me she was more than glad to see the end of that section, but the opening view was sufficient to make up for it.

We're going up that one over there I said pointing toward the Coyles of Muick about 1k away to the south

I then added that before we go over to the Coyles of Muick I'm going to go up Meal Dubh to get some shots of Lochnagar, offering MrsW the chance to wait below whilst I did so as it was a steep little bump, but she was still keen and came along.

As we ascend Meal Dubh Mount Keen can be seen away behind the Coyles of Muick

At the small summit cairn MrsW looks a little......tired, staring across toward our next hill whilst I grab a shot of her with Lochnagar away in the distance to the west

and to the north east (right of shot) lies Ballater at the head of the Glen and the north west toward the Balmoral Forest

A zoomed shot of Ballater nestled in the head of the glen away to the north east

A quick shot of myself with Lochnagar in the background

MrsW remains seated/collapsed against the summit cairn as I wander across to get a closer view of Lochnagar

I confess to wanting to walk over there right now and scramble up that dark monster

Loch Muick is taking a passing shower as the clouds bubble across Lochnagar

I wander back around MrsW and sneak a shot of her still transfixed by the Coyles of Muick in the distance

we watch a couple of walkers drop down from our target and head our way, we had a cuppa and expected to be speaking to them very soon, but they wandered past Meal Dubh and away along the tree line to the north

We dropped down to the narrow pathway that runs along the tree line and headed toward our goal

It is a steep ascent up the final stretch and we opt to head for the smaller cairn on the west side and take a breather on arrival

MrsW was suitably impressed with the views and I was suitably impressed with her efforts

The usual shot.....

MrsW looking across to the eastern cairn (which is a monster of a cairn) and we head off to make the true summit

From the summit the views across the glen and down to Ballater are beautiful, bathed in sunshine and a patchwork of greens and browns

looking over the western cairn to loch muick and lochnagar

MrsW taking shelter beside the monster cairn

After a rest and some well earned snacks MrsW is ready to go and has the euphoric high you get from achieving something you really wanted to achieve.....perhaps a munro is not to far away after all.

From the summit we pick out a different route down in keeping with my "hate to go back the way I came" philosophy and head off to the base of the hill with MrsW leading the way

We dive straight into the trees at the base of the hill and in a very short time emerge onto a good firm forest track overlooking a clearing giving views down into and across the glen

We follow the track back toward the car with MrsW in excellent spirits about the walk but feeling a little 'stiff in the legs'

The track continues to provide open views as we continue toward our start point

It's all good downhill walking on firm tracks so we are quickly back down to the lower levels

We saw a few deer and a couple of hares that I was too slow to get on camera but these taddies didn't get away

Springtime in the forests....

The last short section of woodand track drops back down to the car the way we came, still under beautiful blue skies, what a great day.

I have the feeling that I will be spending a fortune on ladies walking gear very soon, and that I will have company out on the hills more often......but I think I'll just wait and make sure its not a flash in the pan :lol:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: The Coyles of Muick & Meall Dubh

Postby Gable Gable End » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:41 pm

love those colours!

good report :)
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Jockstar » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi. Great wee walk and glad the mrs liked it too. :D Just a question...What camera do you use? :D The results are excellant!
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:16 pm

Gable Gable End wrote:love those colours!

good report :)

by Jockstar on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi. Great wee walk and glad the mrs liked it too. Just a question...What camera do you use? The results are excellant!

Thanks Jockstar - I use a canon 5D, but all DSLR's will get very similar results (but you have to move away from the green square) :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby PeteR » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Another great report Chris :D Agree on the photo comments. Yet more crackers from your camera 8) I've been struck myself when I've been out lately with the colours on offer after the white of the winter. I'm now off to google DSLR cameras :D Better not tell the wife though :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:58 pm

PeteR wrote:Another great report Chris :D Agree on the photo comments. Yet more crackers from your camera 8) I've been struck myself when I've been out lately with the colours on offer after the white of the winter. I'm now off to google DSLR cameras :D Better not tell the wife though :lol:

Thanks PeteR, good luck with the DSLR search - there are so many of 'em the mind boggles :wtf: most of 'em do take a better quality pic....but don't let the Mrs see the price :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland