walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob an Aonaich Mhòir bike and hike

Stob an Aonaich Mhòir bike and hike

Postby DaveSan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:59 am

Route description: Stob an Aonaich Mhòir, from Loch Rannoch

Corbetts included on this walk: Stob an Aonaich Mhòir

Date walked: 02/08/2021

Time taken: 2.4 hours

Distance: 28.5 km

Ascent: 649m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is one of those remote and elusive hills that just cries out for use of a bike to approach. In fact, of the total distance there and back of 28.5km, all but 2km can be done by bike! Setting off early from the campsite at Grandtully (highly recommended - but gets very busy in midsummer), I arrived at the gates of the Talladh-A-Bheithe Estate beside the Bridge of Ericht Cottage just before 8am. There's very little space to park but I managed to tuck into the side without obstructing the tall gates.
Apart from a few broken up sections early on, the road is in good nick and you can keep up a decent speed for most of the way, despite the fact that it climbs 640m. In fact there are only a few places where the gradient is slightly challenging and after about 50 minutes I had reached the high point and locked up the bike (I always do just in case some scoundrel passes and fancies a free ride!).
From the road, it's an easy walk up to the summit after an initial lumpy section of grass and heather and I was at the summit cairn inside 30 minutes.
IMG_20210802_092025018_HDR.jpg
Summit cairn on edge of ridge overlooking Loch Ericht

IMG_20210802_092040616_HDR.jpg
Looking northwards from summit along length of Loch Ericht

IMG_20210802_092058819.jpg
Beinn Bheòil directly opposite with (cloud-capped) Ben Alder behind it and Geal Charn and Carn Dearg behind that

As I sat there, a bank of cloud billowed up from the south and threatened to envelop the summit, but by some quirk it stopped just short of where I was stood and didn't spoil the views over to the west and north. By stepping carefully a few feet to the edge of the ridge, I peered over and could see the shores of the loch 500m below.
After a quick snack, I set off back down to the bike then enjoyed a fast and mostly smooth ride all the way to the car. The whole trip had taken just under two and a half hours! It was then a short drive to the next hill - Beinn Pharlagain....
DaveSan
Mountain Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:221
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Hewitts:131
Wainwrights:194   

Re: Stob an Aonaich Mhòir bike and hike

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:45 pm

You've fairly been battering the remote and off the beaten track Corbetts recently! :clap: However, if you were a true sado-masochist like me you would have chucked the bike and walked this one! :lol: I'm actually glad I did as it was the last real walking I got the chance to do before being locked down in 2020. In hindsight I think I'd have felt cheated if I'd cycled it!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland