walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a' Chaisteil bike and hike from Black Bridge

Beinn a' Chaisteil bike and hike from Black Bridge

Postby DaveSan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:03 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaisteil (Strath Vaich)

Date walked: 01/09/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 26.8 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having climbed Little Wyvis earlier in the day, I drove the short distance north to the parking area by the Black Bridge over the Glascarnoch River. It was just after midday as I set off cycling in the sunshine on the smooth tarmac of the Strath Vaich estate road. The highland cattle by the farm were tucking into their lunch and ignored me as I sped past, which was quite a relief.
The tarmac ended after 4km at the junction for Strathvaich Lodge down below on the left, to be replaced by a loose gravel path, but good for cycling except for one initial sandy section.
IMG_20210901_122152564.jpg
The gravel track heading up the glen, Loch Vaich coming into view

The track carried on along the east bank of Loch Vaich for another 5km and at the deserted settlement of Lubachlaggan, I locked up the bike to a gate and set off up the heavily overgrown hillside to the right of a high fence. As I gained height I realised I should have been on the left of the fence to gain access to the SW ridge, which had been my original intention, however it was too late now, so I stayed on the south bank of the burn flowing down from Beinn a' Chasteil, gaining height up slopes of heather and bracken. I aimed for the col between the Corbett and Meall a' Ghrianain to the south more or less parallel to the SW ridge across the other side of the burn.
IMG_20210901_131744819.jpg
Looking back down to the start of the walk. The hill peeking out at the back is the Munro, Am Faochagach

As I gained height, the hills on the west side of the loch showed themselves. I checked my map and the highest point I could see was in fact the Munro of Am Faochagach. I wondered if there was a route to it from this side as it seemed like a relatively straightforward climb with options to take in some of the adjacent lower peaks - provided you could cross over the loch at its narrowest point. Zooming in on my picture some time later, it looked like there was a very narrow channel. If I decide to climb Carn Ban by cycling in from Black Bridge, then I might be tempted to make a detour and have a closer look!
Higher up, the ground steepened so I contoured around and eventually reached the flatter ground between the two peaks. From there it was only a short climb up to the summit plateau and at 2pm I was at the summit shelter and trig point under cloudless skies.
There were excellent views to the west of the Beinn Dearg group and Seana Bhraigh and the Corbett of Carn Ban to the NW, which I still have to do.
IMG_20210901_140051589_HDR.jpg
Summit with Beann Dearg group and Seana Bhraigh behind

Beinn Dearg group pano levelled.jpg
Another view to the Beann Dearg group and Seana Bhraigh

After a long rest and lunch, I set off northwards along the plateau to a small lochan before gradually turning to the left and starting my descent down to the track. I aimed for the pointy hill of Meall a' Chaorainn across to the NW and once down the steeper section between 600m and 400m, contoured round to the west and emerged on the track. I now had a gradually descending 4km walk back to the bike and then a fast ride back to the car. The cattle I'd passed on the way in were thankfully on the other side of the river as I enjoyed the final few kms of the road to the car park.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DaveSan
Mountain Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:221
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Hewitts:131
Wainwrights:194   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland