walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowy wander

Snowy wander

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:02 pm

Date walked: 30/01/2021

Time taken: 3.05 hours

Distance: 13.38 km

Ascent: 202m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was cold, there was lots of snow and I was feeling rubbish but not as rubbish as sometimes, so we decided to do a walk that Malky had been suggesting for a while but I'd never really felt up to. It was an absolutely stunning day and despite the freezing temperatures, the sun made it relatively warm as we walked up the hill behind the house.

We were far more familiar with cycling up this hill than walking it, so it felt like it went on forever - but as the gradient eased as we came towards the top of the steepest bit, the fields opened out and it felt like PROPER WINTER 8)

Further along the road

Carn a' Bhodaich above Loch Ness

We stopped for a short breather as I was shattered, but also to enjoy the views (and for Malky to show off his new bobble hat 8) )

We took the track just before Drumashie Farm which thankfully was gently downhill and had had a tractor or two along it to make it good snow for walking on (despite this, Malky nearly went flying a couple of times :lol: )

As we headed into the trees there had definitely been less traffic, but a couple of bikes (either very fat-tyred mountain bikes or something motorised) had been through.

Snowy woods

A break in the trees gave us a glimpse across the end of Loch Ness

Looking back, the sun was preparing to do nice things....

Miles to go - Cullaird; the buildings just in front of the trees, were our next aim....

There were lots of tracks criss-crossing but for once we made our way through unscathed :lol:

As we dropped lower, so did the sun 8)

Beautiful early evening colours

As we dropped lower, the ground became less snowy and more muddy but with plenty of ice to watch out for! Soon we were approaching Cullaird buildings and the sun was having a final hurrah 8)

From here we headed into the woods and followed some very muddy paths interspersed with frozen lochans

We then reached the road and had about 3km to walk back home - it felt like an eternity and I thought I was going to need a carry home :lol: But a beautiful day out in the snow!
Attachments

activity_6192162354.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Snowy wander

Postby Robertgee » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:45 pm

Looks like a nice walk. Lovely snow scenery photos. :clap:
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:21 pm

That looks a nice local wander but would lack the magical aspect without the white stuff we've been missing this winter! 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:52 pm

Beautiful. I think a lot of folk are desperate to see some of the white stuff this year!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:41 pm

Well done Jackie for getting out, hats off to you and good to see some snow at low level.
I presume you struggle more ascending?
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland