walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A glimpse of winter above Tain

A glimpse of winter above Tain

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:59 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cnoc an t-Sabhail (East)

Date walked: 09/01/2022

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 13.1 km

Ascent: 297m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Still not fully recovered from the non-COVID virus, we both didn't feel strong enough to face a serious winter climb, but weather was decent so we couldn't stay home, either. According to long-term forecast, this was going to be the last day of frosty/snowy conditions and the following week would bring... spring!

All right, I love spring but non necessarily in early January!!!

We had a look at the three Sub'2 Marylins just west/south west of Tain; all three are similar, rounded hills covered in commercial forest, with roughly 300m of ascent each. On a longer day, one could bag them all in one go, especially if using a bike, as there is a good network of forest track linking the hills. But as we were still a bit coughy-sneezy, we opted for a single bag.
The eastern Cnoc an t-Sabhail is the Sub closest to Tain. It can be done from west or north using the existing network of tracks, but we decided to walk from Tain Hill Forest car park at the end of Jubilee Drive, which is also the starting point for the Pulpit Rock circuit:

Track_TAIN SUB 13.1KM.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As it turned out, this was our last hillwalking trip with good old Black Arrow. She has been throwing small tantrums for some time (now wonder, with nearly 140 000 miles clocked in!) and we knew it was time to let her go :(
The car park was covered in ice. We had to perform some ice-dancing moves to reach the start of the Pulpit Rock trail, but once on the path, it was soft snow rather than hard ice.
The walk to Pulpit Rock took ten minutes...
2022-01-09 tain sub 005.JPG

...but we had something more ambitious in mind so we didn't linger despite nice views...
2022-01-09 tain sub 002.JPG

...because we knew we'd get much more from the top of Cnoc an t-Sabhail. A well-worn path descends due north from the viewpoint, so we followed:
2022-01-09 tain sub 007.JPG

This path soon joined a wide forest track heading SW past Lochan Uaine. I wonder why is it called "green lochan" - maybe it does look green in summer time, but now it was definitely blue!
2022-01-09 tain sub 015.JPG

On the easy part of the walk:
2022-01-09 tain sub 010.JPG

I had done my research before plotting the circular route and I knew that not all tracks are marked and some are overgrown and hard to spot. We walked past the lochan and couldn't see the ATV track we were planning to use to get closer to the summit, so just continued on the main path but we soon realized, it was taking us away from the hill.
2022-01-09 tain sub 071.JPG
The wrong way!

We turned back and retraced our steps back to the lochan. On closer inspection, we located the right track. It was covered in virgin snow - nobody has walked this way since the last snowfall. Wow. I know these aren't the most popular hills but I was surprised that nobody has visited this Sub recently!
2022-01-09 tain sub 073.JPG
The right way!

We continued on the pristine-white ATV track for about 0.5km before we reached a junction and turned uphill (right). This branch of ATV track took us out of the forest...
2022-01-09 tain sub 075.JPG

...and petered out on the bumpy moorland. We could see the summit now - in good conditions, navigation here is easy.
2022-01-09 tain sub 083.JPG
The summit of Cnoc an t-Sabhail

It might be straightforward area to navigate, but not so straightforward to walk on, especially when covered in snow. The terrain is very uneven, covered with lumps, bumps and hidden holes. I had to resort to tuft-jumping :lol:
2022-01-09 tain sub 031.JPG
Panther the Tuft Jumper

It was a good workout though. By the time we reached the trig point I was so overheated that I took my hat off!
2022-01-09 tain sub 046.JPG
Sub No. 60, a nice round number!

Wee Lucy on her 28th Sub. In the background - Kevin and his long camera lens :lol: :lol: :lol:
2022-01-09 tain sub 104.JPG

Cnoc an t-Sabhail proved to be a superb viewpoint. Certainly with the surrounding landscape covered in snow!
2022-01-09 tain sub 033.JPG
Beinn Tarsuinn and Ben Wyvis - pano

I was surprised to see Ben More Assynt - looked much closer than it was!
2022-01-09 tain sub 041.JPG

Ben Klibreck over Dornoch Firth:
2022-01-09 tain sub 092.JPG

View due North along the coast:
2022-01-09 tain sub 051.JPG

Zoom to Beinn Tarsuinn:
2022-01-09 tain sub 098.JPG

The other Cnoc an t-Sabhail (the western one) looked like a good target for another short January outing:
2022-01-09 tain sub 096.JPG

We brought tea and cookies, as per usual, so we were not exactly in a hurry to leave this lovely spot, especially that there was hardly any wind today! Eventually, after twenty minutes or so, we packed up and headed down. The easiest way would be to retrace steps back to the ATV track, but Kevin, of course, wanted "some kinda circular" and he spied another forest track marked on the 25k map, due east from the summit. The problem was, this possible new escape route was hidden in the trees, but he didn't care - he went for it! :lol:
2022-01-09 tain sub 108.JPG
Into the forest!

After a few minutes of hopping over bumpy ground and slaloming amongst countless pines and spruces, I expressed my doubts whether this supposed track existed at all... but for once, I was wrong. Kevin found it! Well, it wasn't exactly what I would call "forest track", but a path would do!
2022-01-09 tain sub 111.JPG
Mr Path Finder

The path soon joined a wider track...
2022-01-09 tain sub 115.JPG

...which then descended to one of the main tree-felling roads, circling the hill. We could now follow this "jet runway" back to Pulpit Rock. I was delighted that all the tuft-hopping was over!
2022-01-09 tain sub 062.JPG
Time for some panthering!

Dornoch Firsth and the ridge of Struie through a gap in the trees:
2022-01-09 tain sub 065.JPG

Back on the track by the Pulpit Rock with the sun setting behind the hill we just visited:
2022-01-09 tain sub 117.JPG

I must say, this humble Sub gave us as much fun as many higher mountains. The small ones are worth leaving for a winter day - this one definitely so. Such a shame that winter conditions didn't last :(

In mid-January weather turned mild and windy, but we still took the opportunity to bag more Subs. In my next TR we will be returning to the Tain area to climb the other Cnoc an t-Sabhail!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland