walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eyeballing Hillwalk Duration: Advanced Level

Eyeballing Hillwalk Duration: Advanced Level

Postby aaquater » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 17/07/2017

Time taken: 7.75 hours

Distance: 32.1 km

Ascent: 1604m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

102126.jpg
The first edition of Chasing The One... as in, THE one bus/train I had to catch or I wouldn't make it back home. Made more difficult by the fact I didn't have access to Naismith back then, so I just combined two official routes, guessed how long the part I was interested in would take, and guessed more how much faster than the suggested time I could be. 8h04 is what I had at my disposal. Let's go! First along the tarmac, but joined by the lovely scenery and weather of Upper Deeside.
113731.jpg
Crossing the Dee, I joined a track. After a short trek through the woodland, the views of the hills I was heading for were starting to open up in front of me.
121354.jpg
Derry Lodge was set in some absolutely lovely surroundings, just the place to take your family to on a nice day like this.
125808.jpg
And I was quickly falling in love with Gleann Laoigh Bheag as well. But there in front of me? Yeah, on the left, that was the slope of Sron Riach I was heading for.
150734.jpg
After Sron Riach, I thought I was following a path, but it took me too far left, so I just went straight uphill, joined the major path, and ascended Ben Macdui. Quite windy and plateau-y, so a panorama is needed to get the grasp of what I saw... but man did I see a lot! The ones protruding the most in front are the other over-4000s of the Cairngorms (Braeriach et al), but the views were massive in each direction.
153852.jpg
A short trip down a totally weathered, stony grey area later, I made it to Lochan Buidhe, from where I was turning right to head for the second Munro of this trip: Cairn Gorm.
165459.jpg
Made it to Cairn Gorm. Now I only had a little over an hour left until my bus would depart, so I was starting to get a bit nervous, but there was no need. Straight down the piste and on good paths, I reached the ski resort car park in some 45 minutes and could kick back and relax in the bus - or rather in the train an hour or so later.
aaquater

Munros:59   Corbetts:30
Grahams:26   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:36   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland