walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bog a' Ghlo

Bog a' Ghlo

Postby aaquater » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 06/10/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 33.1 km

Ascent: 1630m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

085932.jpg
Another fine day for walking, still could go pretty high up but probably not too far as the days were getting shorter. The choice fell on Blair Atholl once again, and upon arrival, I saw that it was pretty crowded.
094448.jpg
Some folks were just about leaving, though. I mean, it was October.
095315.jpg
First taking the long-ish tarmac route to reach the car park, then a nicer track. Beinn a' Ghlo (Carn Liath) was drawing near.
103242.jpg
An awful bog was even nearer, though. Now that I looked at this picture again, it makes a lot of sense why some other people report the whole way up Carn Liath as a properly maintained path. It might be that way now, once all those stones in the bags found their place... in an impossible swamp lying just over the horizon. Lacking the ability to jump into the future, I escaped from the bog with one shoe and sock completely drenched.
110312.jpg
Up on Carn Liath (where the path was dry) and looking at the next two Munros of Beinn a' Ghlo: Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain and Carn nan Gabhar.
115855.jpg
Less than an hour later, on Braigh... y'know, the middle one, and looking back at Carn Liath.
125509.jpg
Add another hour and this is the panorama from Carn nan Gabhar.
133034.jpg
And I went to visit Airgiod Bheinn as well. This is looking down Glen Girnaig, the direction I should've gone. Instead I returned to Bealach an Fhiodha and got treated to the lovely experience that is walking alongside the eponymous burn.
142851.jpg
Finally found a path and calmed down enough to take a picture. That was just awful. Heather and bog and mud all in one.
152419.jpg
'How are you this muddy, there's nothing but nice paths 'round here?' the sheep could be asking. And down there in the glen, sure enough, the paths and tracks were top quality. Well, on the bright side, at least that meant I'd started to dry by the time I dragged myself to the train...
aaquater

Munros:59   Corbetts:30
Grahams:26   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:36   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland