walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Praying for Grades

Praying for Grades

Postby aaquater » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:11 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: The Fara

Date walked: 20/10/2017

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 20.4 km

Ascent: 1118m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

092531.jpg
Not the usual lead to a walk, this one. We had to film a video for one of our classes, I got the idea to make the video more interesting by shooting the intro outdoors, and convinced a classmate I was in the group with to actually go and do it. Not the usual walk title, either, but... well, The Fara means The Ladder. But when I think of climbing a fara, the question that comes to mind is why to bother the priest, as in my language, 'fara' is a presbytery. Regardless though, it was a tickable hill with decent weather on the day we were both free, so we went. And took care to close the gate after passing through.
093331.jpg
That sign isn't targeting us walkers, is it? Regardless, the autumn scenery above Loch Ericht was definitely nice enough to slow down for.
100007.jpg
We basically followed the official route, finding a firebreak and heading up it. A bit boggy and overgrown, but nothing that couldn't be overcome with the prospect of the A waiting for us at the summit, where we'd be shooting the video. The Fara has two A-s, even - one for each of us!
105539.jpg
Up on the summit, we were treated to an inversion of sorts, the clouds below us tearing and hills poking through.
114123.jpg
Over time, as we headed down the western ridge, the clouds began to disappear even more; this is looking back towards Dalwhinnie. We'd be returning there, but had no reason to hurry as trains stopping in Dalwhinnie are sparse anyway, and what's a better way to kill a few hours than a pleasant ridgewalk?
115749.jpg
And a full panorama down the entire length of Loch Ericht.
131723.jpg
The descent was a bit awkward as it had long grass, no paths, and a high fence to cross. But after crossing it and finding another firebreak down to Ben Alder Lodge, it was just about following the track back to Dalwhinnie. And then sitting down, editing the video, submitting it, and hoping the one grading it would share my sense of humour, but that's not really a part of this walk anymore. We ultimately did get the two A-s, though.
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:18

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland