our_route.gpx Open full screen NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts
- Not the usual lead to a walk, this one. We had to film a video for one of our classes, I got the idea to make the video more interesting by shooting the intro outdoors, and convinced a classmate I was in the group with to actually go and do it. Not the usual walk title, either, but... well, The Fara means The Ladder. But when I think of climbing a fara, the question that comes to mind is why to bother the priest, as in my language, 'fara' is a presbytery. Regardless though, it was a tickable hill with decent weather on the day we were both free, so we went. And took care to close the gate after passing through.
- That sign isn't targeting us walkers, is it? Regardless, the autumn scenery above Loch Ericht was definitely nice enough to slow down for.
- We basically followed the official route, finding a firebreak and heading up it. A bit boggy and overgrown, but nothing that couldn't be overcome with the prospect of the A waiting for us at the summit, where we'd be shooting the video. The Fara has two A-s, even - one for each of us!
- Up on the summit, we were treated to an inversion of sorts, the clouds below us tearing and hills poking through.
- Over time, as we headed down the western ridge, the clouds began to disappear even more; this is looking back towards Dalwhinnie. We'd be returning there, but had no reason to hurry as trains stopping in Dalwhinnie are sparse anyway, and what's a better way to kill a few hours than a pleasant ridgewalk?
- And a full panorama down the entire length of Loch Ericht.
- The descent was a bit awkward as it had long grass, no paths, and a high fence to cross. But after crossing it and finding another firebreak down to Ben Alder Lodge, it was just about following the track back to Dalwhinnie. And then sitting down, editing the video, submitting it, and hoping the one grading it would share my sense of humour, but that's not really a part of this walk anymore. We ultimately did get the two A-s, though.