walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Postby Graeme D » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:31 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan

Date walked: 13/02/2022

Time taken: 11.9 hours

Distance: 32.7 km

Ascent: 1580m

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2021 had been a year of firsts in many ways. July had seen my first visit to Knoydart, the spring months of April and May had seen first proper hill walking outings with Luna since she came of age, and talking of age, the autumn had seen me turn 51 for the first time in my life! :lol:

Progress in terms of turning red Munros into blue ones has been fairly slow over the past five years or so, even before COVID put the brakes on even more, with my average annual new Munro count having hovered around the 8 mark for several years now. That said, I had somehow managed to get my to-do list down to a fairly respectable 52. If I could get one more red Munro ticked off, I could be 51 with 51 Munros between me and the finish line!

I had identified Beinn nan Aighenan as a suitable target for the relatively short days of the early part of the year, accessing it by the long, lonely walk through Glen Kinglass from Victoria Bridge. It is one of only half a dozen or so "single hit" red Munros still on the board. I had last ventured this way during the Great Summer of Temporary Freedom of 2020 when I had rounded off a multi-day trip by faffing around doing the Graham of Beinn Suidhe. Nothing wrong with Beinn Suidhe, or Grahams in general, or faffing around, but I had decided that 2022 (touch wood) would be a year where I would concentrate heavily on lowering my remaining Munro count and spend less time "faffing around" on the likes of Beinn Suidhe. With 52 remaining, I was hoping to almost cut that figure in half over the course of the coming 12 months. In fact, I decided that my target would be to do 22 in 2022, thus taking me to a nice round 30 left to deal with. Maybe then I could start to envisage a compleation at some stage during 2025! :think:

The date was set for Saturday 29th January and John and Bruce were roped in, Bruce in particular keen to get some mileage and ascent under the belt before we tackle the Strathfarrar Round at the beginning of May. Then on the Friday night, that wee b*wbag Storm Malick went and screwed our plans up entirely by arranging to visit winds of up to 3,000mph on the high ground of Scotland. I was keen to get out, but not so keen that I was prepared to have my trousers blown clean off on Beinn nan Aighenan! :lol:

I thought about going for it myself the following weekend (Bruce and John both being unavailable) but the weather was grim that weekend too. Not that I was desperate to get my 22 in 2022 plans off the mark or anything, but I then pencilled in the following weekend. Bruce couldn't make it but John could, although we ended up switching from the Saturday to the Sunday, it being the slightly less unpleasant of the two days. :shock:

John was at my house at 06.10, only 10 minutes late on account of having left the Costa del Kinghorn without his walking boots. Fortunately he had not gone far before some subconscious realisation had kicked in. This would definitely not be a day for anything other than sturdy boots! :shock: We transferred his gear into my car and were off just before half past. A quick stop was made at the Green Welly in Tyndrum for a caffeine top-up and we were parked up in the walkers car park at Victoria Bridge and away on the stroke of 08.30.

IMG_1991.JPG
Achaladair and Dothaidh across Loch Tulla from the tarmac to Forest Lodge

IMG_1992.JPG
Abhainn Shira (downstream towards Loch Tulla) from Victoria Bridge

IMG_1993.JPG
Abhainn Shira (upstream towards Beinn Suidhe) from Victoria Bridge

IMG_1994.JPG
In the shadow of Achaladair and under the careful watch of a couple of locals

John was on new ground here, but I had tramped the track alongside the Abhainn Shira on several previous occasions. Most recently had been 18 months ago and Beinn Suidhe but I had also been along as far as the Clashgour climbing club hut on two other occasions to separately pick off the Munros of Stob Gabhar and Stob a' Choire Odhair. As we passed the little green hut, I could see someone inside, I think the first time I have ever seen anybody actually using the place.

IMG_1999.JPG
Approaching Clashgour with our distant, snow-capped target far away up Glen Kinglas

IMG_2002.JPG
Let the bog hopping commence!

We carried on, leaving the track at the access gate to Clashgour Farm and onto the bogfest of a walkers path that hugs the edge of the river, at times perilously close to the overhanging bank. A solo walker soon caught us up and passed us before turning back just before the stepping stones. He had been hoping to head up onto Stob Gabhar but had been blocked by a locked gate in the deer fence. He wasn't too keen to do it via the usual ascent route so thought he might just take the quicker option of Stob a' Choire Odhair before heading for his ferry back to Belfast.

IMG_2004.JPG
A particularly dry section

IMG_2008.JPG
A particularly wet section, or maybe it's just the Abhainn Shira. Kinda hard to tell!

We carried on to face the stepping stones, which came as a bit of a nasty surprise to John. Oh, had I not mentioned the hair raising crossing of the stepping stones!!!??? :lol: It was certainly more of a challenge than it had been in the dry summer of 2020, with the stones today looking decidedly slippery and a fair depth of water lapping around them. Still, we both managed across without incident although knowing that it would be dark for the return crossing later in the day, we were less confident of similar success a second time around.

IMG_2010.JPG
The Stones of Doom! If Beinn Suidhe could talk, I bet it could tell a story or two of botched crossings on these stones! :lol:

IMG_2011.JPG
Safe from the stones for at least another 8 or 9 hours but a few scary bridges still lie in wait!

Once through the fire break in the section of forestry, it was a straightforward squelch over the open moorland to the wooden suspension bridge. I didn't remember it being quite as swingy when I last crossed it 18 months or so ago.

IMG_2013.JPG
Skirt around? Plough straight through? Does it really matter? :?

IMG_2015.JPG
First crossing of the second scariest bridge of the day

The long, rising track then stretched ahead of us, past Loch Dochard and on down to the foot of the knobbly east ridge of Beinn nan Aighenan. On the way I popped into the rather sorry looking fishing hut on the shores of Loch Dochard and chuckled about a conversation I had with 3 anglers here on that day in the summer of 2020, Luna did what your average Labrador does and "took the waters", and John and I chatted away about the usual stuff.

IMG_2018.JPG
First sighting of Loch Dochard and the rear end of the Glen Etive Munros

IMG_2023.JPG
Zoomed on Meall nan Eun

IMG_2027.JPG
Through the window - who lives in a house like this?

IMG_2030.JPG
Splashdown in Loch Dochard

After lobbing a few stones into Loch Dochard for Luna to chase, we carried on past the point where I came off Beinn Suidhe in 2020 and down to the great stone slabs of Coire Beithe to the south of the long arm of Sron na h-Iolaire.

IMG_2032.JPG
Track dropping down towards Innseag na h-Iuraiche with Beinn nan Aighenan ahead and Meall Garbh further down Glen Kinglass

IMG_2033.JPG
Aighenan from one of several stream crossings

IMG_2034.JPG
Across Sron na h-Iolaire towards a cloud shrouded Stob Coir an Albannaich

IMG_2039.JPG
Luna on one of the massive sections of pavement

We spotted the old, rusted iron fixings of the original footbridge over the River Kinglass but I knew that despite my battered old OS sheet (which would barely survive the rigours of this outing!) not showing another one in the neighbourhood, there was a new one a short distance downstream. After a very rough and boggy section alongside the river with only the sketchiest hint of a path for company, the new bridge eventually came into sight. It is in a spectacular location, spanning a section of the river where it cascades down a narrow gorge in a torrent of white water with massive boilerplate slabs on either side for optimal viewing and photography opportunities.

IMG_2043.JPG
The new bridge with our approximate ascent line of Aighenan behind it and Meall Garbh across Glen Kinglass

IMG_2045.JPG
Upstream view from the bridge and John availing himself of the photography opportunities

IMG_2049.JPG
Luna leading John over the bridge

Once over the bridge, we found a decent spot by the side of the track to have lunch and a cup of tea before the exertions of the ascent up the eastern slopes of Beinn nan Aighenan. I say "we" had a cup of tea, but to be more accurate, "I" had a cup of tea while John managed to drop his flask mid-pouring and ended up looking like an incontinence sufferer! :roll:

IMG_2054.JPG
Meall Garbh and lower Glen Kinglass from the early stages of ascent

Height was quickly gained, as was the snowline. Small patches steadily gave way to larger expanses, wet and mushy with little in the way of weight bearing properties. At least not for bipeds. The quadraped in the party seemed to be having fewer issues relating to sinking knee or waist deep in the mush.

IMG_2057.JPG
On the rollercoaster ridge - into the snow and the clag

IMG_2060.JPG
Whence we came - Loch Tulla the furthest away body of water

Progress was unsteady, faltering, at times laborious when we stumbled into particularly awkward terrain and sank up to our waists in the mush. But eventually the small, unassuming summit cairn was gained and my first Munro of the year, my first hill of any description this year, was done and dusted. Well, apart from the VERY long walk back to Victoria Bridge that is! :crazy:

IMG_2063.JPG
John getting a bit bogged down

IMG_2066.JPG
Two specs in a vast landscape

IMG_2069.JPG
The connecting bealach to Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor

IMG_2070.JPG
Back down the ridge across the head of Coire a'Bhinnein

IMG_2073.JPG
It's finally within sniffing distance

The summit views were not summit to get too excited about, but it was just good to be there. It was fairly mild (certainly for mid-February), there was next to no wind (as opposed to the tempest that had been forecast for our initially planned date) and there had been no rain (or at least nothing that required full metal waterproofs).

IMG_2075.JPG
John's third of 2022 and 65th in total

IMG_2077.JPG
My first of 2022 and 231st in total

We had debated what would constitute the best route off the mountain and back onto the long track past Loch Dochard for our second encounter of the day with the Stones of Doom. In the end, we took a bearing down to the head of Coire a'Bhinnein from where we could drop down to Glenkinglass Lodge and pick up the track a few kilometres downstream from where we had left it earlier.

IMG_2079.JPG
Dropping into Coire a'Bhinnein with Beinn Suidhe and Loch Tulla in the distance

The coire was a minefield of concealed sink holes and on several occasions we found ourselves waist deep in the snow with our feet in a stream bed. We fled to the higher ground to the west and picked a careful line down into the glen.

IMG_2082.JPG
It's a fair way down into Glen Kinglass

IMG_2083.JPG
Meall Garbh and Glenkinglass Lodge

It was with some relief that we gained the track at the bridge at Glenkinglass Lodge and we celebrated with a can of Williams Brothers Six States White IPA, white chocolate buttons and wine gums! :D Then it was a small matter of the 12km or so back along the track to the start. :shock:

There were some lovely sections of waterfalls on the river to our right as well as a rather questionable looking suspension bridge over one of the streams coming down from Coire a'Bhinnein. :shock:

IMG_2087.JPG
John crossing the scariest bridge of the day in the gathering gloom

IMG_2089.JPG
Meall Garbh and the River Kinglass

By the time we were back at the section of large boilerplate slabs, it was time to fire up the headtorches and relive memories of last October and a similar, long Sunday evening head torch yomp out. Maybe it was just the psychological effect of crossing it in the dark, but the original swing bridge over the Abhainn Shira near Clashgour seemed even swingier than it had done on the walk in, and we knew we still had the Stones of Doom to contend with.

IMG_2093.JPG
Second crossing of the second scariest bridge of the day

When push came to shove, weary and hungry and faced with a crossing on wet stones (the drizzle had been on fairly constantly for the last hour or so) in the dark, we bottled it and choose to do a skip and a hop job a short distance upstream from the stones. :lol:

A warm glow was flooding out of the window of the Clashgour hut and the thought of whoever was in there, I imagined with a few beers and a hot meal, caused me to feel a pang of jealousy. We still had half an hour or so to go and we knew that we might struggle now to find somewhere still serving food.

We trudged back into the car park a full 5 minutes short of the 12 hours. Luna inhaled her dinner while we got ourselves sorted out and hit the road in search of dinner. At the Bridge of Orchy Hotel we were out of luck, the kitchen already being closed. We were more confident that we would get something at the Real Food Cafe in Tyndrum but it had closed at 8 o'clock. The Tyndrum Inn it was, but even there the kitchen was closed so we had to settle for a packet of scampi fries. Damn good they were too! :lol:

So, 1 down and only 21 to go to hit the 2022 target. Like I said, ambitious, possibly unrealistically so, but with plans for Strathfarrar made and Fisherfield being very much in the sights for July, it's not beyond the realms of possibility and the bigger target of getting the journey done by 2025 remains.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: 51

Postby KeithS » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:25 am

Hi Graeme,
Well done on what looked like a long, damp, hard fought but satisfying transformation of another tick from red to blue.
I hope you can still join me in August for another colour change on An Teallach.
All the best
Keith
PS. Surely you are not 51yrs of age, you are wearing well.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Graeme D » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:23 pm

KeithS wrote:Hi Graeme,
Well done on what looked like a long, damp, hard fought but satisfying transformation of another tick from red to blue.
I hope you can still join me in August for another colour change on An Teallach.
All the best
Keith
PS. Surely you are not 51yrs of age, you are wearing well.

Maybe on the outside Keith, but my knees feel every minute of these 51 years now after a long day like that. The right one in particular was complaining loudly long before the end. Certainly still planning on joining you in August - the two AT Munros are very much part of my plans for the year! :D Hope all is going as planned with you.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby PeteR » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:33 pm

This is definitely a good route to tackle this hill, if a little tough on the body on the way back.

Hopefully you'll be able to rattle off your remaining hills a bit quicker......I seem to recall my last dozen or so took me about 5 years 🤣
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby WeeHills » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Enjoyed this one, I quite fancy this approach to the Glen Etive Hills. In summer, if/when it's been dry for a month or two and those mahoosive stepping stones are unneeded. Didn't fancy having to actually use them at all when I was up Beinn Suidhe last summer and your report makes me think my initial aversion was not misplaced.

Good luck with the remaining 51.
WeeHills

Postby Colin1951 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:23 pm

Great report, your photos convey the conditions vividly. I almost had to go & dry off after reading! Good luck with your remaining 50…
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:22 pm

I still think it’s the best way of doing this hill. Very wild and remote country down there. Well done on getting off the Munro mark again.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby The English Alpinist » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:27 pm

That's a very long moody walk, I think I'm quite adventurous but I would have saved that one up for summer! Great photos and a spirited effort to negotiate all those bogs (twice) :You're on the home run for compleation now clap:
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:20 pm

Well done that man & Luna of course, I took the less adventurous WH route on this one after a long lay off. Looking forward to seeing you in September 😀😀 GLW
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Sick Kid » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:42 pm

You're a glutton for punishment! You could have gone from Inverawe, still a long walk but a great track all the way and none of that squidgy nonsense. You do have my admiration for persisting :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Sgurr » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:33 pm

Wouldn't have put this down as an easy walk for the short days of winter. We did it from the Glen Etive side, and I don't know really which is harder. Good for you.

Thought 51 was a familiar number i.e. the number I had at the beginning of my penultimate Munro year, but I went back and counted and it was 54. Augurs well for you.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby dogplodder » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:11 pm

A brave route for winter and well done Luna! How is she with bridges? My black girl would opt for a raging torrent over a dodgy looking bridge... or any kind of bridge to be honest. :shock: :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland