walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Shoreline Moo(e)d

The Shoreline Moo(e)d

Postby aaquater » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:41 pm

Date walked: 19/02/2022

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 11.8 km

Ascent: 329m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

121954.jpg
I wanted to go somewhere, but it had snowed the previous day, even on the sea level. That had melted, but I still wasn't confident about driving anywhere higher up, especially on tiny roads that often lead to the starting point. So instead, as per recommendation, I looked at possible seaside walks. And really, when I arrived in Ferryden and started the walk, all the hills past Montrose were blanketed in snow, which I wasn't in the mood for - especially in terms of driving, but wading through snow as I'm walking is something I'd prefer to avoid as well.
122047.jpg
And speaking of snowy hilltops... I mean... in one direction, I had the Angus hills. In the other direction, I had THIS. Yeah, just clouds over the North Sea, but I couldn't stop seeing a hill with a long ridge going to the right whose lower slopes were largely afforested.
123503.jpg
Anyway, I reached the Scurdie Ness lighthouse on good paths, and from then on, it was first through grassland, then cowland. The official route says I should've kept to the right of that fence, but I went left following some other people, through the field with cows. The previous day's snow had just melted, so the ground was saturated with water and gave way easily under the cows' hooves, and then similarly under my shoes. Especially around the gates at the Mains of Usan, it was all just mud, no trace of grass left. Add to this the moment when a cow was standing in the gate I was meant to pass through and staring at me. At first, I ventured down the main road, hoping to spot a different way to the shore. But I looked back to see the cow moving away from the gate, so I went back to continue on the route the normal way.
124608.jpg
Past the cow fields, it was still pretty muddy, but with no hooves disturbing the ground, it held together better. Still, I kept looking to my left to the terrain closer to the sea, where I saw many people fishing. At least in some parts, that must've been the preferred way to go, at least in these underfoot conditions.
134339.jpg
Then I reached the headland by Usan, where I turned right to reach the track. The last few metres before the gate were really muddy again, but from then on, it got a lot better. Okay, past Usan, I had a choice between ploughed (muddy) dirt and a grassy (overgrown) strip by the fence, but most of the time, there was a path to follow in the grass. The cliffs on my left looked nice and kept me wondering which one the promised inlet was.
140206.jpg
And then I saw it and it was really unmistakeable, the Elephant Rock. I took a picture, encircled it, and took this picture, where the lighting, I believe, makes the shape more prominent. From then on, after a couple minutes, I made it to the road and followed it back to the car. One good thing about ending a walk on a long stretch of tarmac? It gave the mud on my walking boots a chance to dry before I reached the car. :D
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:18

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland