walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of Stake

Hill of Stake

Postby rockhopper » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:09 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Stake

Date walked: 16/01/2022

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 400m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked in Muirshiel Country Park car park. Walked up to the mine then SW to Hill of Stake. Then SE - had intended to walk over Misty Law then back to the car. However, before getting to it, I saw another walker down in a dip across some boggy ground. He shouted to me so I shouted back and kept going assuming he was just saying hello as the wind made it difficult to hear. He kept shouting and didn't move so I left my route and headed down to him. He was from Belgium, said he had fallen into a watery bog up to his thighs, was cold and didn't know where he was. He was supposed to be walking from Lochwinnoch to Largs but said after getting out he hadn't moved for an hour, thought he'd had it and was trying to phone his girlfriend but don't think he had a signal. Didn't seem quite as bad as that to me but suspect he probably wasn't used to the hill conditions. Think he was using maps on his phone but the lack of signal meant there was no detail. Changed my route and took him back down to my car then, wearing a mask with windows open and him in the back seat with his dog in the back (estate car), dropped him off at the pub in Lochwinnoch after he'd arranged for his girlfriend to drive from Largs to pick him up. Quite an interesting day but decided against going on to Blaeloch Hill.

Hill of Stake 16jan2022.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland