walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wander along Glen Lee

A Wander along Glen Lee

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:29 pm

Date walked: 25/02/2022

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 21.7 km

Ascent: 480m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time to finally get out and get the year started.

I chose a good local walk and parked at Invermark before heading along the track by Loch Lee and onwards on to Glen Lee.

At the high point of the track there was a difficult burn crossing and there was a fair amount of snow around (there was next to nothing a little bit lower down at Loch Lee).

I was going to keep to the main track to see f it went beyond the point where it comes to an abrupt end on my path but a track headed off to the right and up Muckle Cairn was just too tempting. The snow got deeper the higher I climbed and at the point where I chose to turn round I was still only halfway up the hill but struggling in drifts of up to three feet. Really hard going and slowing me down to the point where there was a chance I could run out of daylight so I decided to quit with the knowledge I could come back next week and the snow could be gone.

Easy walk back down through the glen and along the loch side.

Good 1st outing.

2.jpg
The track up Muckle Cairn
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland