walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Kinord circuit in the snow

Loch Kinord circuit in the snow

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:16 pm

Date walked: 18/02/2022

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 179m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dr Frank and I had long planned to go to the NW Highlands towards the end of February, and, a week out from D-day, the weather looked reasonably auspicious, notwithstanding the impending North Atlantic storms – some snow, cold and quite windy, but not too windy for walking. However, the forecast seemed to get worse daily, and in the end we decided that it would be best to go east, where the forecast was somewhat better. The upshot of this was that we ended up staying in Ballater, with the idea of walking up and in the area of Lochnagar.

Unfortunately, by the evening before our first outing, the forecast had deteriorated to such an extent – heavy snow all day, white-out conditions, howling gale …
- that we decided that, rather than waste time and effort battling through seriously sub-optimal conditions, we’d go for a low level walk; and after a bit of searching, found what looked like it would be at least a reasonable walk - around Loch Kinord, just down the road from Ballater (the forecast for the following day was much better, so we still had hopes of getting up Lochnagar).

So that’s what we did.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The following pics just give an indication of conditions.

Image At the start it was snowing very heavily, but it did ease off a bit during the course of the morning.

Image Snowmen and snowballs in the car park, about a quarter of the way round.

As we walked up the hill into the wood we encountered a sign saying that the path was closed because there hadn't been time to clear the fallen trees. To which we decided to pay no heed.
Image Initially there was just the odd flattened tree - though on the necessary detour off the path the get around one of them, I managed to put my foot into a deep boggy hole; and by the time I'd managed to extricate myself (I was submerged up to my knee) my foot was soaking and pretty darned cold!.

However, a few hundred metres from the point at which the path briefly meets the road, there were suddenly fallen trees everywhere, and though none of the detours was especially demanding, the cumulative effect of all of them on our rate of progress was considerable!

Image The last few kilometres is a pleasant walk on a broad path around the east side of the loch. So far there had been virtually no wind, but at this point quite a breeze - a cold one - began to get up.

Since we were only a few miles from Ballater, and it was cold and a tad windy, we determined to go back to our house and eat our lunch there. Real fair weather walkers!!!

Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland