walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

New boots on Meikle Bin

New boots on Meikle Bin

Postby rob munbett » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:26 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 01/03/2022

Time taken: 2.3 hours

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 436m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

New boots! We all know what it's like: we clump about on the carpets in the house for a week or so and all seems well - then, first time out on the hills, rubs and blisters. Not this time, though. My new Meindl Burmas were perfect straight out of the box. I was fortunate enough to find a shooting supplies shop on a farm near Dalry that still had old stock of these boots and they're a far better fit for me than the new Bhutans. Anyway, enough of this advert for Meindl boots. I first had a walk on this hill many years ago - I think I had just finished a year of chemo and did this walk to ease myself back . On this occasion, it was to ease myself back after a bad calf muscle tear. Indeed, I'm still getting physio but not being entirely honest with the therapist! I parked up in the ever-busy parking area at Todholes and set off through the forest on the forest road. The weather was supposed to have been bright and sunny but in the gloom of the forest, it was pretty chilly. After a while, the hill came briefly into view before another long stretch of forest road.
IMG_20220301_114648.jpg
Meikle Bin from the forest track
Exiting the trees, there was a better view of the hill, with some nice patches of snow near the summit. I came to the start of the path up the hill and was surprised/ pleased to see a lovely picnic bench. It seemed wrong not to use it for a few minutes to enjoy a cup of tea and the view over the Fintry Hills.
Fintry Hills from Meikle Bin.JPG
Fintry Hill from Meikle Bin
The path up to the summit became very muddy in places and, at time, the steepness reminded me that my calf muscle was not quite mended.
IMG_20220301_124309.jpg
Looking up to the summit
Soon though, I reached the summit trig and enjoyed the views.
IMG_20220301_123401.jpg
Looking down on the Carron Valley Reservoir
IMG_20220301_122946.jpg
The summit trig
On the way out, I just had to stop at the picnic bench for another hot drink and sandwich before heading back through the woods to the car - with not a blister in sight!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: New boots on Meikle Bin

Postby iangpark » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:03 pm

Interesting, I got the Borneos a couple of months ago and have had blisters on top of blisters with them so far (been on 2 big walks and a few small ones with them). I'm actually tempted at the moment to buy some sandpaper to harden my feet up faster. At least yours fit!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland