walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Battock (so good I did it twice)

Mount Battock (so good I did it twice)

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:15 pm

Route description: Mount Battock from Glen Esk

Corbetts included on this walk: Mount Battock

Date walked: 01/03/2022

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22.7 km

Ascent: 1220m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having previously climbed Mount Battock from Glen Dye I always wanted to return to this hill but to come in from Glen Esk. I hadn't expected it to take me eight and a half years to make my return trip but such is life.

Four days earlier I was also in Glen Esk but had to concede defeat whilst trying to climb the world renowned Muckle Cairn which is at the far end of Glen Lee as you head towards Lock Muick. This hill isn't particularly high or steep but the snow drifts were frequent and up to about three feet in depth. With each step you never quite knew what to expect, one minute I would drop 6 inches through the snow, then 3 feet, then a foot - you get the picture. It was knackering and frankly I didn't care if I missed the view of the muckle cairn (if there even is one?). What made things more frustrating was that the hill I had chosen was deep in snow whilst others like Hunt Hill just seemed to have a dusting. Anyway, I knocked it on the head and headed back the 7 miles to the car which was parked at Invermark.

Fast forward four days and the snow seems to have had a fair shift so time to head back to Glen Esk with the promise of blue skies all day.

4.jpg
Large parking area off the Glen Esk road just after Millden Lodge (look out for the blue phone sign)

The walk starts off up the tarmac road passing this attractive looking old water mill.

5.jpg

Shortly after this I passed Mill of Aucheen before forking right on a track that looks like it heads straight to a cottage.

7.jpg

The track then veers to the right and passes the front of the cottage before heading on to open grassland.

8.jpg

After skirting a small area of woodland and going through a gate I headed downhill to my right to cross two small wooden pedestrian bridges to reach the track beyond the ford.

9.jpg
Looks like all the sheep have been brought off the hill for lambing

Out of the valley floor and with the sun out it was noticeably warmer than recent days and it was down to one layer until the top of Mount Battock.

After taking a right turn and passing through another gate the route ahead became much clearer with Mount Battock in full view.

10.jpg

11.jpg
My route goes round to the right of this hill rather than straight over the top

12.jpg
Might leave this one out of next year's calendar........

13.jpg
Looking back towards Glen Esk

The real ascent starts after passing the turning for the Hill of Saughs.

14.jpg
The climb about to start

The climb up Black Craig seemed really steep in places or maybe it's just because it's only my second walk since finishing the Dales High Way in October???

15.jpg
Executive class grouse butts on this hill - no 6 was my personal favourite.

16.jpg
The first snow on the track - at about 640m

Once I was on the top of Black Craig I could see the short climb that was left to reach the top of Mount Battock.

17.jpg
Mount Battock

And so I made it to the top, a beautiful day with good visibility especially to the north east with all the usual Aberdeenshire suspects appearing in the distance.

18.jpg
Summit of Mount Battock

19.jpg
Looking over to the tor on Clachnaben

21.jpg
And over to Mount Keen and pals

After a quick stop to eat the remainder of my out of date Jaffa Cakes I retraced my steps back down the hill. Then when I had lost all the height and was back down at White Burn I couldn't take my eyes off the track heading straight up Hill of Saughs. Temptation got the better of me and I headed up this steep track to the top and the point where my track met the Mount Battock circular route.

22.jpg
Hill of Saugh

23.jpg
Heading Up

Inevitably I looked over to Mount Battock and considered how close it was - hell, why not??

24.jpg
Mount Battock (winking at me)

This route up was definitely harder than the 1st route. Luckily the boggy bit at the bottom was frozen so that was straight forward. There is a faint path to follow but on the higher slopes it was covered in frozen snow but some kind soul had left footprints for me to use as I made my way up, eventually reaching the summit for a second time.

25.jpg
Not sure why I took more summit photos - nothing had changed!

This second climb deserved more chocolate so two out of date twixes were had before heading for home on the main track. Back down at White Burn I had another look up the track to Hill of Saughs but this time the legs were telling me to carry straight on and not hang a left.

All that was left was a leisurely walk back down to my starting point on what turned out to be a brilliant day out.

26.jpg
Destruction near the water mill at the start and end of the walk

I stopped the car on the way home (still in Glen Esk) to photograph the destruction caused by the recent storms. The Edzell area does seem to have been particularly hard hit.

27.jpg
More destruction further down Glen Esk
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland