walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Bhuidhe

Meall Bhuidhe

Postby SecondRow » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:08 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Buidhe

Date walked: 02/03/2022

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7.9 km

Ascent: 452m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Meall Buidhe0302022.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was one of these little hills I keep on the back burner for a short day in winter. Not too far away and what should be a quick, straight forward excursion.

We parked at the car park at the top of Glen Ogle, which was quiet at this time of day. Following the track that services the mast up the hill, elevation was quickly gained. As we approached the mast the wind started to pick up and a real chill set in. Taking advantage of the radio mast's shadow we scoffed a roll and a cuppa before proceeding across the open hill.

The chill intensified and I was glad of my decision to put on my winter thermals. I suspect the partly frozen ground made the walk more enjoyable, as otherwise a good bit of it would have been spent sinking into saturated bog.

A small cairn marked the summit of Meall Buidhe, Views were limited by the cloud, but a few snowy peaks could be seen.

Retracing our steps, now with the wind at our backs, it started to snow. Finding the mast again, we returned via the track.

P1010647.JPG

P1010648.JPG

P1010650.JPG
SecondRow
Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:34
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland