walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Negotiating closed bridge, fallen trees and firing range

Negotiating closed bridge, fallen trees and firing range

Postby dogplodder » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:26 pm

Route description: Moray Coastal Trail: Lossiemouth to Buckie

Date walked: 07/03/2022

Distance: 18.5 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our final stage of the Moray Coast Trail seemed fraught with problems. The bridge over the Lossie to the east beach was closed. We'd known since 2019 it was closed and had decided to wait until it was back in use, except it was turning into a very long wait!

Then there was the firing range. If it was in use it was a no go area and we'd have to do a detour. We had both tried phoning the number given on Walkhighlands, to enquire about it, but there was never a reply.

We didn't know about the third obstacle until we got there - fallen trees blocking paths - but that wasn't surprising given the damage the NE suffered in recent storms.

Bridge over River Lossie
IMG_2597.JPG

Original MCT route was to cross it
IMG_2598.JPG

So what do we do if we can't cross it? Wading is absolutely not recommended, even at low tide! I should have known this from reading gld73's report but at the end of the closed bridge there was a helpful diversion sign. Moira had already worked out a diversion by road but this diverted us through local woods beloved of Lossie dog walkers, which made for a more pleasant start and let Keira be off lead for a bit.

Diversion sign for Moray Coast Trail
WhatsApp Image 2022-03-08 at 2.06.32 PMc.jpg

IMG_2600.JPG

Lossiemouth
IMG_2599.JPG

Moira checks route while Keira checks French Bulldog
IMG_2601c.JPG

When we reached a minor road coming out of a work site building we started along a path which had three trees (and possibly more) across it. We checked the map and realised that at this point we were meant to be on the road anyway.

Trees across path
IMG_2602c.JPG

The minor road led to the B9103 where we turned left and followed it to Arthur's Bridge.

Take first track on left after bridge
IMG_2603c.JPG

Finally crossing the River Lossie
IMG_2604c.JPG

Soon after the bridge we turned left along a track back towards the woods. This time we were met by signs warning not to use informal paths which were likely to be blocked by fallen trees. So we stayed on the wide track which followed the edge of the forest to a junction where straight ahead would lead to the beach.

Track we followed
IMG_2605c.JPG

Straight ahead here
IMG_2606c.JPG

We passed two areas of water on our right before emerging on the shoreline which wasn't a beach exactly but a row of concrete blocks in front of a raised shelf of stones.

WW2 defences
IMG_2607.JPG

I thought there might have been a sandy beach on the other side of the shelf of stones but the tide was in so I don't know if there's no sand here, or there is sand, but it's covered at high tide.

Looking west
IMG_2608.JPG

Looking east
IMG_2609.JPG

We commented on how durable these concrete blocks are to be standing here after 80 years of North Sea storms and not just standing here but still a barrier to any would be landing vehicles. With Putin's invasion of Ukraine at the front of our minds the relics of WW2 seemed almost friendly by comparison.

MCT path between concrete blocks and wall of stones
IMG_2610.JPG

This path continued for several kilometres, between the stones and the concrete blocks, hearing the sea but not seeing it. Since we had not been able to check on the status of the firing range we were listening out for gunshot and looking ahead for the green signpost in WH's directions. From there we were supposed to be able to see if a red flag was flying, in which case we'd have to take another detour inland. I was tempted to think going down on to the sea side of the barrier of stones would work, but from the map the beach was out of bounds as well.

Green signpost
IMG_2611c.JPG

We couldn't see any red flag so proceeded with caution since it seemed logical to think if all was clear a green flag would be flying and we couldn't see a green flag either.

Look out post at firing range
IMG_2612c.JPG

A bit further on we met a local who said the firing range hasn't been in use for the past two years and he didn't know if it ever would be. That made us laugh after all our caution over it.

Bin of Cullen in distance
IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2615c.JPG

When we reached the first buildings of Kingston we took a path inland which led to a road lined by white cottages from where there was a signed turn off to the right.

Right turn here
IMG_2616.JPG

At a right bend in the road out of Kingston we took a path to the left which climbed to give a view over the fields towards Spey Bay.

IMG_2617c.JPG

Bin of Cullen again
IMG_2618c.JPG

Zoomed to Dolphin Centre and houses of Spey Bay
IMG_2619c.JPG

We followed the road through Garmouth which took us over an old disused railway line which instinct said must be the way to the bridge over the Spey. But there was no MCT sign there to say "Go down those steps", which I think there should gave been. We went down the steps on to the old railway line which led us to the ornate metalwork bridge crossing over a wide part of the River Spey.

Old railway line and bridge we came over
IMG_2621c.JPG

Bridge over River Spey
IMG_2622c.JPG

We and the dog all kept to the centre section of the bridge as the see through slats on either side didn't look as strong and it was a long way down into a fast flowing river! I'm sure they are strong enough, it was just an optical thing.

IMG_2624c.JPG

Mouth of the Spey
IMG_2625c.JPG

Hills of Sutherland beyond
IMG_2626c.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

Birds in mosaic, bronze and feathers
IMG_2628c.JPG

Takeaway lattes at Dolphin Centre to celebrate completing the Moray Coast Trail
IMG_2629c.JPG

We ended our walk here but for the continuation to Buckie (including shots of basking seals) see link below.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=93743
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Negotiating closed bridge, fallen trees and firing range

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:15 pm

Hi DP

Nice section of the MCT but I found the diversion a bit of a pain, last report on the bridge suggested that there would be no short term fix.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:36 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi DP

Nice section of the MCT but I found the diversion a bit of a pain, last report on the bridge suggested that there would be no short term fix.

In the context of doing the whole MCT in one day I can well understand why the diversion would be a bit of a pain. That was some achievement! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:11 pm

dogplodder wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:Hi DP

In the context of doing the whole MCT in one day I can well understand why the diversion would be a bit of a pain. That was some achievement! :clap:

Thank you - something that had been in my head for a couple of years and it was a great day even allowing for walking along the main road in to Lossiemouth in the pouring rain.

I told Mrs Gordie12 at the time that I wouldn't look to do something like that again but now I fancy doing the reverse route so who knows.......

The mix of beautiful beaches, villages and harbours really is hard to beat.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland