walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Could it get any better

Could it get any better

Postby AJMullen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 29/03/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A wee cheeky Tuesday off and what better way to spend your time than walking up a Munro, well most of you would say so not my wife right enough ha ha. The day looked quiet mild so set off and got up to Rowardennan about 10am and couldn't believe how beautiful the views were from the car park alone (will be back in the summer for a wee swim). So couldn't wait to set off and take in the views as I climbed.
P290311_10.25_[01].jpg
Stunning

So started off heading up from the path behind the information centre. It was straightforward from the offset with a steady climb till I reached the warm welcome I expect from Scotland :).
P290311_10.54.jpg
Nice Touch

Past the gate and onto Ben Lomond itself steadily heading upwards and every time I looked back the views were getting better and better. The views back over the Loch and Islands have got to be hard to rival, a challenge for you who have the experience on me. I met at least 12 people on the way up, very surprised as it was a Tuesday in March. Made it up in good time and once I got to the top I could understand the pull that makes this the most popular Munro to climb.
P290311_12.34_[01].jpg
Very dramatic

P290311_12.48.jpg
A happy camper

P290311_12.46.jpg
and again

P290311_12.46_[01].jpg
My phone doesn't do this justice

I was soo glad to get to the top and get the panoramic views of the many Munro's still to climb, and when I say many holly!!!!!!!! I guess from the climb I wasn't surprised to meet half a dozen more like minded people. So after a wee chin wag I headed down the col climbing south-west to ptarmigan. Past another dozen or so on the way up and if I do say the hard way.
P290311_13.30.jpg
Where did the snow come from?

Half way down I passed a spade at the side of the path, good luck tending this as a garden.
P290311_14.15.jpg
Someone's keen

After a tough trek down and more beautiful views I was glad to reach tarmac. A short walk and back to the war memorial and I still couldn't believe the views from the car park.
P290311_14.42.jpg
Need my towel to reserve my spot

P290311_14.47.jpg
A fitting memorial

P290311_14.48.jpg
WOW

My first Munro and so glad I chose this one. I will be back to do this again.
AJMullen
Mountain Walker

Munros:95   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Could it get any better

Postby csimbad » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Well done AJMullen, great report and pics certainly is a fitting memorial :)
csimbad
Munro compleatist

Munros:193   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Congratulations on your first munro AJ - some beautiful photos there, can't wait for your next one....you've set yourself a high standard :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Penguin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Great report there, and some fab pictures. Really like the loch pictures and the memorial one. Nice one.

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Postby IainWhite » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:22 pm

Great report AJ,

Stunning pics to, This was my first munro, there is something that draws first timers to it, look forward to reading your future reports.

Iain
IainWhite

Munros:11   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland