walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The rolling hill of Galloway Forest Park- a hidden gem

The rolling hill of Galloway Forest Park- a hidden gem

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:08 pm

Date walked: 05/12/2021

Time taken: 3.5 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back in December with limited time on hand, I noticed Shalloch on Minnoch on the map. Neither the name or pictures did the hill justice, however the close proximity to my house (1.5 h drive away) and a shortish 10km return walk 'sold' the hill for me at the end.

It was frosty morning when I set off and blue sky promised a beautiful day. When I arrived at Galloway Forest care was needed, as the roads were icy and a few times I could feel my tires spinning.
As usual finding the starting point was the hardest part (I knew that I had to find a small tree next to a lay-by :roll: ) Once I found it, parking was the next issue. I ended up squeezing my wee car onto a small patch of grass and set off into the blinding sun at 9am (a bit further away is actually a far better place to leave your car, but I only found out when I returned and saw the other cars)

P1540960.JPG
The starting point of the walk

The track through the moors was rising gently and was pretty easy to follow. It's been a while since I had such a gentle walk in and enjoyed in thoroughly.

P1540961.JPG
Just head toward the sun

P1540965.JPG
The path looking back

I really enjoyed the warm sunshine on my face during the otherwise freezing morning.Half way up the hill it became apparent which on the hills ahead was my target and in the distance I could see the track winding itself up Shalloch on Minnoch.

P1540966.JPG
Views towards the forest

P1540977.JPG
The rolling hills

P1540990.JPG
The path ahead...no issue finding it

P1540983.JPG
Isla Craig zoomed in

Passing a wee lochan the track was now climbing more steeply, but still in an easy manner. The sun had briefly disappeared behind the hill and the ground was frozen solid with the first patches of snow visible. Once I reached the summit plateau snow covered the fill summit and the azure blue sky provided a perfect background.

P1540994.JPG
The wee lochan

P1540996.JPG
Looking back...such a gentle hill to climb

P1550004.JPG
The summit plateau

Just before I reached the large cairn, I decided to walk towards the true summit first, which was a good 200 meters away. From there views towards The Merrick were excellent, but I headed towards the steep eastern cliffs which were stunning. I circled the whole summit, enjoying the warm sunshine and the knowledge that I had so much time. At the cairn I had some rather early lunch before heading back.

P1550012.JPG
Looking east

P1550022.JPG
Close to the real summit

P1550068.JPG
The cairn (not the summit)

P1550094.JPG
Myself

P1550141.JPG
Summit area

P1550017.JPG
The Merrick in the far distance

Apart from one other lonely walker in the distance I had not passed another soul.This changed when I returned and saw quite a number of other people walking up the hill...including a bunch of young ones in shorts and T-shirts :shock: (I had changed into my down jacked by that time) On my way down I chatted briefly with another hill walker who was so enthusiastic and happy to be out, that I just realized that for some this hill is simply the best.

Reflecting on the day I had to admit that Shallow on Minnoch had exceeded my expectations by far. On my way home I had even enough time to stop in the lovely village of Straiton.

P1550158.JPG
The lovely village of Straiton

P1550165.JPG
The old church of Straiton

P1550161.JPG
Country roads
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: The rolling hill of Galloway Forest Park- a hidden gem

Postby Robertgee » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:31 pm

Great report, and some brilliant photos as well. :clap:

I did the full "ridge of the awful hand" from Cornish Hill up onto Shalloch on Minnoch, and right along to Bennan via the Merrick around 2005 on one beautiful day in May...a superb outing and I've loved this part of Galloway ever since. :) Thanks for sharing your photos.
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:05 pm

Robertgee wrote:Great report, and some brilliant photos as well. :clap:

I did the full "ridge of the awful hand" from Cornish Hill up onto Shalloch on Minnoch, and right along to Bennan via the Merrick around 2005 on one beautiful day in May...a superb outing and I've loved this part of Galloway ever since. :) Thanks for sharing your photos.

Many thanks! That trip you did sounds amazing. Loved the Merrick too . :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Tinto63 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:03 pm

I might be splitting hairs here but I would not characterise Shalloch on Minnoch as "A hidden gem" as it is seen quite prominently from the minor road south of Stinchar Bridge, which also has a good carpark (marked on my OS 77) from where SoM is easily climbed - without squeezing into any passing places, as you acknowledge in your report.

I'd agree that it is a fine hill especially in winter conditions.

If SoM is a hidden gem how would you describe the Dungeon Hills - Mullwharchar, Dungeon Hill and Craignaw, which really are hidden from view from any road?
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:38 am

If it is icy on the road I always get nervous when the temperature gauge says minus five, just based on experience of driving up on down the road to work and noting when cars end up off the road.
Always good to have a quick game of find the parking/starting spot but equally useful when folk take time to mention such details in reports. Good view of Merrick there, noted for future reference.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Mountainlove » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:58 am

Tinto63 wrote:I might be splitting hairs here but I would not characterise Shalloch on Minnoch as "A hidden gem" as it is seen quite prominently from the minor road south of Stinchar Bridge, which also has a good carpark (marked on my OS 77) from where SoM is easily climbed - without squeezing into any passing places, as you acknowledge in your report.

I'd agree that it is a fine hill especially in winter conditions.

If SoM is a hidden gem how would you describe the Dungeon Hills - Mullwharchar, Dungeon Hill and Craignaw, which really are hidden from view from any road?

Fair point :) For me the hidden park was more hidden from mind, as the hills down south are not popping into mind like some of the more common ones like Goatfell or the Cobbler
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Mountainlove » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:01 am

litljortindan wrote:If it is icy on the road I always get nervous when the temperature gauge says minus five, just based on experience of driving up on down the road to work and noting when cars end up off the road.
Always good to have a quick game of find the parking/starting spot but equally useful when folk take time to mention such details in reports. Good view of Merrick there, noted for future reference.

Always tend to read reports first, as it can be so handy, specially when people post photos (helped me tremendously in the past) Hopefully icy roads are a thing of the past until next winter
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland