walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond, unusually quiet….

Ben Lomond, unusually quiet….

Postby bobsmart71 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:31 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 16/03/2022

Time taken: 4.13 hours

Distance: 12.48 km

Ascent: 974m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having a few days off, I thought I’d chalk off another Munro. Having heard how popular Ben Lomond is due to its proximity to the central belt, I thought today was probably my best bet to try it….midweek/weather hadn’t been great/forecast not promising…except for a small window of sunny spells today that with any luck I’d hit just at the right time.

Once again, I’d mistakenly assumed popular=easy…I’ll get it into my head eventually that there is no such thing as an ‘easy’ Munro.

On route, up the east bank of Loch Lomond, I remembered reading about the Milarrochy Tree…a quick check on the sat nav showed it was only a couple of minutes away. I didn’t want to dilly-dally and miss my good weather, so I swung into the car park, fired off some shots and was back on the road in no time.
1AD34475-40DC-4675-A52E-A00383182AA1.jpeg

49F3616E-B02D-4335-A20E-38251D2C4C1A.jpeg

FCC3F272-EAF9-458F-A1DC-9C8FE695F4C6.jpeg

B86E66EF-6D8B-4E68-9ADA-49A82465CF8B.jpeg

I panicked upon parking in the Ben Lomond car park as the sign said that the price is now £5 and I only had 4 pound coins with me…but closer inspection showed that the machine wasn’t in use…although it was when I returned after my climb….I’m glad I’m paranoid and had taken a photo of machine just in case 😁. Whilst getting my kit on I was visited by a friendly local…..
DDB7D1B5-26B8-4060-ABB5-5C55F7AF02DC.jpeg
Friendly local….

The climb itself gets pretty steep from the get-go and with me having just come out of isolation last week having been hit with the dreaded Covid, I was keen to see how it had affected me.
The answer it turns out is quite a bit….I found this a proper slog, my stamina being even worse than usual, but with stubbornness and a good packed lunch lovingly prepared by my wife, I finally made the summit….and boy, the views don’t disappoint, looking back down over Loch Lomond the views were glorious and I’d hit the summit at just the right time, with the wind getting rid of any cloud as soon as it tried to appear.

4329C1A3-A87C-4CBA-9AC6-4F01CFE19664.jpeg

E029C2AB-8485-4A8C-A3ED-F68EBB4AFAB0.jpeg

6ADCCBCC-F43B-49F6-B0ED-7271CA2851E7.jpeg

9BC72FD1-954B-4F34-BB55-8E7B450BE65F.jpeg

2FCBD9E8-E347-4590-B799-17D2C9EE42E6.jpeg

I retreated back the way I came as opposed to the Ptarmigan route and reached the car 4 hours and 13 minutes after I’d left it, which sounds a reasonably impressive time until you look at my fitness app and see that my heart rate averaged 144bpm and peaked at 181bpm….I really need to work on my fitness….

On the way down, I passed about 20 people in total, with only 1 guy who passed me getting to the summit before me, so all in all, quite a quiet day for one of the busiest Munro’s….
bobsmart71
Walker

Munros:10   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Re: Ben Lomond, unusually quiet….

Postby KatTai » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:56 pm

See, now you've got me thinking ohhh lets give Ben Lomond a go while it has been quiet and I just know whatever day I go it will be mobbed with everyone and their gran heading up :lol: Surprised by how little snow there is up there!

Hopefully you get your fitness back up soon :D
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby bobsmart71 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:07 am

KatTai wrote:See, now you've got me thinking ohhh lets give Ben Lomond a go while it has been quiet and I just know whatever day I go it will be mobbed with everyone and their gran heading up :lol: Surprised by how little snow there is up there!

Hopefully you get your fitness back up soon :D

Cheers, I was surprised with lack of snow as well, this is 3rd walk/4th Munro that I've went to do, expecting snow but seen precious little of it....
As it turns out I think I might have struggled with it yesterday, need to fully recover before exerting myself to that extent
bobsmart71
Walker

Munros:10   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Stagger » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:04 pm

Looking at weather on Thursday 18th, windy and sleety showers looked manageable for fourth walk up there. Strong winds and scouring hail in the face not great especially with glasses fogging up. Makes avoiding the ice harder so turned back with 150m to go to the summit. Not the first time we have abandoned a walk and will get back soon. Nice day on Ben Cleuch this afternoon and very good views of BL!
Stagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland