walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Into the Great Wilderness – Beinn Tarsuinn via Lochivraon

Into the Great Wilderness – Beinn Tarsuinn via Lochivraon

by Mal Grey » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn

Date walked: 02/03/2022

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 19.6 km

Ascent: 970m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Into the Great Wilderness – Beinn Tarsuinn via Lochivrao

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:50 pm

You do like that area, and I have to say, you could choose worse. That bothy is forever associated with banging my head on the low door lintel. Twice🙂. Don’t think a banjo will be on our kit list for CWT. Could maybe settle for a harmonica. One of the small ones😂
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:12 pm

Definitely special, particularly in such great conditions. :clap: Have walked past but didn't go into the bothy - was too busy at the time - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby prog99 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:15 am

Mal Grey wrote:
prog99 wrote:The stove is fixed at last!

"Fixed" may be a slight exaggeration, in that the door is missing any glass and is jammed open, but it certainly works well enough. First evening it took a long while to get properly going, as the flue gets damp (the cap clearly doesn't keep out Scottish rain and the flue is dead straight) so I had to clean out soaking ash. Once the stove dried and heated up and it started drawing properly, it was very good. OK, the tin roof is uninsulated so I could never claim it was hot inside, but it was comfy enough.

The flue doesn't leak into the bothy, thats fixed in my book!
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:58 pm

weaselmaster wrote:You do like that area, and I have to say, you could choose worse. That bothy is forever associated with banging my head on the low door lintel. Twice🙂. Don’t think a banjo will be on our kit list for CWT. Could maybe settle for a harmonica. One of the small ones😂

I also carried a tin whistle. One day, I'll learn to play it!

Hope the bump on the head is a distant memory!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:58 pm

rockhopper wrote:Definitely special, particularly in such great conditions. :clap: Have walked past but didn't go into the bothy - was too busy at the time - cheers :)

Its a handy bothy for a quick refreshment if walking back out at the end of a long day. Cheers
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:59 pm

prog99 wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:
prog99 wrote:The stove is fixed at last!

"Fixed" may be a slight exaggeration, in that the door is missing any glass and is jammed open, but it certainly works well enough. First evening it took a long while to get properly going, as the flue gets damp (the cap clearly doesn't keep out Scottish rain and the flue is dead straight) so I had to clean out soaking ash. Once the stove dried and heated up and it started drawing properly, it was very good. OK, the tin roof is uninsulated so I could never claim it was hot inside, but it was comfy enough.

The flue doesn't leak into the bothy, thats fixed in my book!

Fair point! In that respect, it is now excellent. Cheers.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:34 pm

Sgurr wrote:What an exceptional report. We staggered in there to do the Grahams (at a rather advanced age) and R was so startled by a vehicle coming up behind him, that he fell into the ditch. The kind guy who had come up to check on his sheep pulled him out and drove us both to the bothy. The next night a party had come in to do the "Fisherfierld Six". I said "I think you'll find it''s five now. " "Oh no,our book says six." Why believe some random granny you've only just met than the black and white of a book. Anyway, I expect they enjoyed themselves, and one less Corbett to do if they ever get around to them.

It does look a splendid route in snow.

It may have been downgraded but I think it's much the best of the three easterly Fisherfield 6.
SB is a real pig of a hill - a pile of unpleasant scree: it's only its superb location that makes anyone want to climb it (IMO :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:09 pm

past my sell by date wrote:
Sgurr wrote:What an exceptional report. We staggered in there to do the Grahams (at a rather advanced age) and R was so startled by a vehicle coming up behind him, that he fell into the ditch. The kind guy who had come up to check on his sheep pulled him out and drove us both to the bothy. The next night a party had come in to do the "Fisherfierld Six". I said "I think you'll find it''s five now. " "Oh no,our book says six." Why believe some random granny you've only just met than the black and white of a book. Anyway, I expect they enjoyed themselves, and one less Corbett to do if they ever get around to them.

It does look a splendid route in snow.

It may have been downgraded but I think it's much the best of the three easterly Fisherfield 6.
SB is a real pig of a hill - a pile of unpleasant scree: it's only its superb location that makes anyone want to climb it (IMO :lol: :lol: :lol:

The big Mullach CMF is a decent hill I think, that SE ridge to Sgurr Dubh is great, but I totally agree about Sgurr Ban; a lump of ankle breaking boulderfields!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Mountainlove » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:48 am

Wonderful report :clap: and some amazing photos. This wetted my appetite to head out for a multiple day trek very soon. Thanks for sharing :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby malky_c » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:19 pm

Really enjoyed that - good memories of a New Year trip not so long ago (although the bothy was absolutely freezing in the morning!). Some great photos from the middle of the area 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:41 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Wonderful report :clap: and some amazing photos. This wetted my appetite to head out for a multiple day trek very soon. Thanks for sharing :D

Thank you. Enjoy your trip, wherever it is!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:42 pm

malky_c wrote:Really enjoyed that - good memories of a New Year trip not so long ago (although the bothy was absolutely freezing in the morning!). Some great photos from the middle of the area 8)

Cheers mate. New Year for me is normally spent under a tarp somewhere, but a bothy would at least not blow away or flood during the night as happens on Welsh camp sites!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

22 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland