walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sun, wind and bog on two Glenfinnan Corbetts

Sun, wind and bog on two Glenfinnan Corbetts

Postby DaveSan » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:29 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mhic Cedidh, Beinn Odhar Bheag

Date walked: 19/03/2022

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 14.9 km

Ascent: 979m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn_Odhar_Beag_and_Beinn_Mhic_Cedidh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a chilly night camped in Glen Nevis, I arrived at 7am at the layby 5km before Glenfinnan where the railway comes alongside the road. Starting with a climb over the locked gate, I crossed the railway line and began following the faint grassy tracks heading round the back of a large grassy mound. The quick thaw of the recent few days had resulted in a lot of surface water, although in the north-facing shady sections, the ground was still frozen in places from the overnight frost.
I made my way up the steep grassy slopes, gaining height rapidly as I aimed for the notch in the ridge to the west. Despite the early hour, it felt warm in the early morning sunshine, with the prevailing wind not yet apparent. I turned south at the notch and headed along the broad ridge leading to Beinn Odhar Mhor.
IMG_20220319_085013419_HDR.jpg
Looking north with Sgurr an Utha mid-distance with Sgurr nan Coireachan, Sgurr Thuilm and Streap behind

The going was easy, with a few patches of partially frozen snow to cross or detour around and two hours from starting, I reached the summit cairn where a gusty SE wind had me looking for a place to shelter and rest awhile and take in the superb views down Glenfinnan and Loch Shiel.
IMG_20220319_091020374.jpg
Beinn Odhar Beag now coming into view

IMG_20220319_091101525_HDR.jpg
View to the east with Loch Shiel in the centre and Loch Eil further away. Ben Nevis also visible on horizon.

I headed down the right-side of the south ridge, finding a way around the immediate crags and the view opened up to Beinn Odhar Beag.
IMG_20220319_094152060.jpg
The rocky ascent of Beinn Odhar Beag

It was then a case of weaving a route around rocky bluffs, crags and knolls to the summit. A few stretches of snow were easily crossed - crunchy in a few places but not requiring crampons or spikes. Looking up, I anticipated a few steeper sections of snow, but as it turned out, I could avoid them altogether and 45 minutes after leaving the previous summit, I was at the small cairn on Beinn Odhar Beag.
IMG_20220319_100519384_HDR.jpg
Summit cairn on Beinn Odhar Beag, looking eastwards

IMG_20220319_100608551_HDR.jpg
View SW along Loch Shiel

I found a place to shelter from the wind and pulled out the coffee flask. Suitably fortified, I set off down the long but easy angled grassy NW ridge down to Bealach a' Choire Bhuidhe. The uniformly steep east face of Beinn Mhic Cedidh now towered above. In a little over 30 minutes from the bealach, I popped out at the top and headed to the tiny cairn on the edge of the east face.
This was Corbett number 150 for me - a small celebration was in order but that would have to wait until I was back at the campsite!
IMG_20220319_113138310.jpg
View from Beinn Mhic Cedidh summit to the west - Rois-Bheinn, Sgurr na Ba Glaise and Druim Fiaclach

IMG_20220319_113154108_HDR.jpg
View SW from summit of Beinn Mhic Cedidh - the shapely dome of the Graham, Croit Bheinn in mid-distance

IMG_20220319_113207825_HDR.jpg
The two Beinn Odhars from summit of Beinn Mhic Cedidh

Due to some steep snowed up sections on the north ridge, I stayed on the west side as I made my way down the grassy and increasingly boggy slopes of the north ridge, heading for Sgurr na Paite. I was relieved to reach the bealach below the latter and began following the ATV track back to the road. This began well, as I was able to avoid the wetter sections on dry grass on either side, however, the lower I went, the boggier the ground became until it was impossible to avoid. Progress was annoyingly slow as I made my way along the mud and bog but with great relief I finally reached the road and could stretch out for the mile back to the car.
A memorable walk, although the last hour is best forgotten!
Last edited by DaveSan on Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveSan
Mountain Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:221
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Hewitts:134
Wainwrights:201   

Re: Sun, wind and bog on two Glenfinnan Corbetts

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:57 pm

Excellent.

I've always thought these looked like excellent, wild, hills and your report proves it.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland