walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Lochy Munros

Loch Lochy Munros

Postby Magoo82 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Route description: Loch Lochy Munros from Kilfinnan

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 16/04/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We left Dundee at 7am and arrived at Laggan Locks in time to set off just after 10am. After hot-tailing it through the forest we started our climb up to the bealach.

lochlochy 014.jpg

It was pretty straight forward up to the bealach but it became pretty steep when we began to ascend Sron a Choire Ghairbh. I was too busy breathing out my backside to take any snaps on the way up so here's me at the top along with the view down the cliff.

lochlochy 002.jpg

lochlochy 003.jpg

After some much needed respite during the descent to the bealach we surveyed what lay ahead in Meall na Teanga.

lochlochy 004.jpg

Any illusions i had about my fitness were blown away during the ascent of Meall n Teanga. My legs were burning on the way up this steep wee hill.

lochlochy 011.jpg

We eventually reached the top although the cloud restricted our views somewhat.

lochlochy 005.jpg

lochlochy 007.jpg

lochlochy 008.jpg

On the way back down we were treated to a good view of the zig-zag stalkers path that we'd earlier taken on the way up Sron a Choire Ghairbh.

lochlochy 010.jpg

After a hasty descent we arrived back at the car at the back of 4 in the afternoon and made good time back to Dundee for a chippy washed down with a cold beer or five. All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable day out and it puts a much needed couple of munros in my legs for the trip to Glencoe in a couple of weeks :D
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Re: Loch Lochy Munros

Postby ChrisW » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:28 pm

Great report magoo82, shame about the clag but you can see enough to get me tempted to take a look at these two, great hat by the way :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Magoo82 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:31 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report magoo82, shame about the clag but you can see enough to get me tempted to take a look at these two, great hat by the way :D

Cheers Chris - gotta keep the lugs warm!
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Postby Braehead-Bagger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:29 pm

Guys, great report. Lesley and I were the couple with the chocolate lab that met up with you several times doing the same Munros. Great report and brilliant hat! :)
Braehead-Bagger
Munro compleatist

Munros:257   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   

Postby doogz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:39 am

Good to see you enjoyed it 8)

Question :why did you travel all the way over to do those two when you could have picked ANY hill Closer to your start point :lol: :lol:

And believe me these ain't steep.........

I'm still wondering why you travelled so far and u could have done Beinn a Ghlo 3 or 6 at Glenshee :shock:

But you gotta start somewhere

Cheers

Doogz
doogz

Postby Magoo82 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Braehead-Bagger wrote:Guys, great report. Lesley and I were the couple with the chocolate lab that met up with you several times doing the same Munros. Great report and brilliant hat! :)

Ah, hello again! It's amazing that for the first two walk reports i've put up on this site it's later turned out that i bumped into people who post on here. Either a very small world or a very popular website!

doogz wrote:Good to see you enjoyed it 8)

Question :why did you travel all the way over to do those two when you could have picked ANY hill Closer to your start point :lol: :lol:

And believe me these ain't steep.........

I'm still wondering why you travelled so far and u could have done Beinn a Ghlo 3 or 6 at Glenshee :shock:

But you gotta start somewhere

Cheers

Doogz

We just chose it for the banter, Doogz. A day out in the car and up the hills. This one was decided more or less on a whim two days previously.

I don't just want to do all the local ones then end up having no choice but to go further afield in a few years. Best to mix things up a bit and see different parts of the country.
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland