walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five Wainwrights around Blencathra

Five Wainwrights around Blencathra

Postby gld73 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:37 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Bowscale Fell, Mungrisdale Common, Souther Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Bowscale Fell

Date walked: 26/03/2022

Time taken: 5.3

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 1000m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In the last 3 or 4 months, most of the hills I've done have been sub-2000 Scottish marilyns; I'm used to not seeing anyone else on a hill! ...so a Lake District classic on a Saturday, at the start of school holidays and in good weather was a shock to the system :shock: :lol:

I set off on the walk at 10:30, so of course no parking to be had in Scales itself by then, but I got a place in one of the nearby laybys on the A66. I've only done Blencathra from further west before and it was back in the days when I went up hills like Blencathra, Skiddaw and Scafell Pike a few times rather than specifically seeking out Wainwrights to tick off. I rarely go along the A66 now, so it was nice to see Blencathra up close again ... Skiddaw and Blencathra always remind me of my geography lessons about glaciers, corries etc, as they were textbook examples of the resultant formations we could see in real life locally .

Anyway, my main aim today wasn't Blencathra's main summit, though I did that too ... it was to get a couple of new Wainwrights done. I had in my head I'd do Mungrisdale Common (never previously realising it was a Wainwright when looking down on it or over it before) and Bannerdale Crags, but once I was up there I saw Bowscale Fell and Souther Fell were easy to tag on in such nice weather, so ended up doing those too. It was a really enjoyable walk, my only slight regret was that I didn't take a scrambling ridge route up given the perfect conditions. My route ended up as:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

APDC8248.JPG
Looking back down on Scales as I headed up the path (Scales Fell route)

APDC8249.JPG
It might be one of the most straightforward ways up the mountain, but it gives some good views of Blencathra

APDC8251.JPG
Scales Tarn was down on the right as I continued up, Sharp Edge above it

APDC8254.JPG
Hallsfell / Blencathra Summit trig point

APDC8255.JPG
I didn't head along to Knowe Crags today

APDC8256.JPG
...instead, I headed in the other direction towards Atkinson Pike, past the small tarn and the stones making a white cross

APDC8257.JPG
Marked by a cairn, the path down Blue Screes leads to the wonder that is Mungrisdale Common (the wonder being that it's actually a Wainwright)

APDC8258.JPG
Ignore Skiddaw in the background ... I'm just aiming for the high point of the benign grassy lump. At least the path is clear in these conditions.

APDC8259.JPG
A glimpse of Derwentwater between the bulks of Blencathra and Skiddaw

APDC8260.JPG
Mungrisdale summit cairn, looking back to Atkinson Pike. Despite Mungrisdale Common itself being a bit flat and unexciting, it is in the centre of 360-deg views to proper hills. Wasn't too boggy today either as it's been dry the last few days.

APDC8263.JPG
Bowscale Fell had looked nice from Mungrsidale Common, so I decided to head there next rather than straight to Bannerdale Crags. Had to head to the col where there was a meeting of multiple paths, then it was a straightforward walk from here to Bowscale Fell ahead. Doesn't look so interesting from this approach!

APDC8264.JPG
Pano of Bannerdale Crags, Blencathra, Mungrisdale Common and Skiddaw from Bowscale Fell

APDC8268.JPG
From Bowscale Fell I took the path skirting the top of the plateau above Bannerdale to head right round to Bannerdale Crags

APDC8270.JPG
Cliff edge cairn of Bannerdale Crags looking back to Bowscale Fell

APDC8271.JPG
Bannerdale Crags summit cairn looking over to Blencathra

APDC8272.JPG
Headed from the summit straight back to the col where all the paths met, and took a sharp left to start heading down the valley, taking the path on the left side of River Glenderamackin rather than the one on the right, as it looked like the left one would give me a good route up to Souther Fell

APDC8274.JPG
The path continues on around the nose of the hill, but I took the branch off to the right to cross the footbridge. Souther Fell is the hill ahead, the high point is off to the left

APDC8275.JPG
An easy grassy (and no doubt boggy in wet weather) stroll along the top of Souther Fell got me to the summit, a patch of exposed bedrock. This is looking over to Bannerdale Crags , Blencathra behind

APDC8277.JPG
Not a very exciting hill, but an easy walk, looking back here the way I'd come to the summit and was now about to go back

APDC8278.JPG
Home stretch now, the last bit of hill path down to the small parking area near the sheepfolds. From there, it was a short walk back through Scales and to the car.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Five Wainwrights around Blencathra

Postby nigheandonn » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:53 pm

Some nice hills, those - you definitely had better weather for it than I did!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Re: Five Wainwrights around Blencathra

Postby gld73 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:08 pm

nigheandonn wrote:Some nice hills, those - you definitely had better weather for it than I did!

Yes, I certainly can't complain about the weather this week - last time I was down in Cumbria the weather was awful, this time it's been perfect. I've managed to get out for 4 good walks in 4 days, totalling roughly 70km and 4300m, all in sunshine.

I've still taken a good waterproof coat out with me on every walk though, I've spent too much of my life in Cumbria to assume a day will stay rain-free, whatever the forecast :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland