walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Battling the wind on Carn a' Chuillin

Battling the wind on Carn a' Chuillin

Postby DaveSan » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:53 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn a' Chuilinn

Date walked: 20/03/2022

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 729m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn_a_Chuillin.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another fine day was forecast, albeit with strong gusty winds high up - as I discovered later! I arrived just before 8am at the long lay-by just a few kms along the B862 from Fort Augustus and set off on the newly laid track, past the edge of a plantation and then merging onto the wide, undulating motorway-like hydro track.
After 4km of easy walking I reached the bridge over the Allt Doe and forked right to a rather rough and boggy path that kept close to a small burn as it headed south. It was then a case of tramping across heather moorland towards the north-eastern end of the steep craggy ground above. I steered left of a few patches of icy snow higher up and reached flatter ground at 750m and the expected gusty wind - not continuous but on and off for 30 seconds at a time.
IMG_20220320_113356851_HDR.jpg
Looking across to snow patches from my route up steepening grassy slopes

I kept to the west side of the ridge to minimise the effect of the wind, but after point 781 had no choice but to take the full brunt of the, by now, ferocious wind. A short and steep grassy gully led directly onto the summit. The cairn was now only a few yards away but to reach it I had to crouch down to avoid being bowled over - I attempted to take a few photos then retreated to the gully to get out of the wind for a few moments.
IMG_20220320_104550221_HDR_adj.jpg
Summit cairn on Carn a' Chuillin looking west

IMG_20220320_104938413.jpg
View looking NE from the steep grassy gully just below the summit

Despite the sun and blue sky, this was no place to hang around with the wind trying to knock you over, so after a quick drink and bite to eat, I headed carefully down. It was a relief to reach the relative calm of the heather slopes where I decided to vary the route back and head directly north to the hydro track. This was a good plan as the ground was only slightly boggy and soon I was marching back down the 'motorway' with the wind behind me.
DaveSan
Mountain Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:221
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Hewitts:134
Wainwrights:201   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland