walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shock for The Legs

Shock for The Legs

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:48 pm

Date walked: 01/04/2022

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 51 km

Ascent: 431m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Five weeks to the day till I start my 1st long distance walk of the year so time to let the legs know what lies in store.

So far this year I have had three trips to nearby Glen Esk where I have covered around 14 miles each day and most mornings I do a 6 mile walk but this would be the first big distance I have covered since last October on my final day of the Dales High Way.

This is my 3rd annual visit to this route (each time extending it by an extra mile or two) which I only discovered in 2019 when I was on the train heading south from Montrose and I saw a few people walking on an obvious track so did some investigations.

This year my starting point was Tayport Harbour at dawn (a very cold dawn for the 1st of April).

1.jpg
Tayport Harbour

My first couple of miles is straight forward following the Fife Coastal Path to the Tay Bridge. It was noticeable how much more traffic there was on the bridge this year compared to my two previous visits.

3.jpg
Approaching the Tay Road Bridge

Once over the bridge I picked up the cycle route that would take me along the coast to Broughty Ferry, Monifieth, Carnoustie and then eventually Arbroath where I would leave the coast behind and head inland towards home.

4.jpg
Broughty Ferry Lifeboat

5.jpg
Train heading south between Monifieth and Carnoustie

6.jpg
Near East Haven

7.jpg
Arbroath Signal Tower Museum

8.jpg
Arbroath Harbour

This isn't a route that most walkers would enjoy in that of the 31.7 miles I covered probably around 29 would be on tarmac but as a training exercise I really enjoy it and today was no different. Previously, I've completed this route in June/July but on a cold April morning the route was a lot quieter and more enjoyable for it.

After Arbroath there is no cycle way or path for me to follow to get home so I have to use the road system but it's a fairly straight and quiet road so no problems. As the day wore on the clouds started to appear and darken but rain seemed pretty unlikely.

9.jpg
Dumbarrow Farm near home - dark skies building

A mile from home I chose to come off the road and follow some farm tracks that I could link up to get me home. It extends my route by about a mile but it's good to get off the tarmac.

So, job done, legs now know what they are in for this year and whilst they are currently complaining, hopefully this will help me for what is in store in a few weeks.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland