walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Going loopy on Stac na Cathaig

Going loopy on Stac na Cathaig

Postby Hills4dogs » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:23 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Stac na Cathaig

Date walked: 12/03/2022

Time taken: 1.32 hours

Distance: 4.86 km

Ascent: 211m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a very dull day but I wanted to go for a quick walk to stretch the dogs legs. It was supposed to dry up in the afternoon and so I picked this wee hill having read Jaxter's and Rob's walk reports. Although, as I prefer to go on circular walks, I was hoping to combine them and go up "the easy way" and then come down the other way. As I drove from the Black Isle to South of Loch Ness going through intensifying rain, I wasn't feeling hopeful, but as I pulled up to park the rain stopped and the clouds cleared :D :D .

activity_8445076832.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

20220312_135543.jpg
The starting gate

Parked in the driveway of the forest track, quite wide and certainly room for a couple of cars. Started walking up the path and soon passed Loch a Choire with views onto Creag Dhearg

20220312_140832.jpg
Loch a Choire

Continued walking along the path which then bends to the right and shortly afterwards came to another gate across the track. This gate was definitely locked but was loose enough to let the dog through, but not me, fortunately there was a wooden slatted fence at the right hand side which was easily to climb over. Immediately over the gate there was a wooden log bridge which I crossed and then travelled up through the edge of the wood between the trees and the deer fence.

20220312_141535.jpg
Bridge and "gap" in the trees

The ground was a bit damp but not too bad considering it was March! The trees are definitely growing, so in some places there was a wee bit of limbo dancing to get along between the trees and fence. Not too long through this section and then we were out into a fire break.

20220312_142313.jpg
Looking down

20220312_142334.jpg
Looking up the fire break

Then it was just a short haul upto the western top which had the better views

20220312_143126.jpg
Dill at the first top with the real top in the background

20220312_143158.jpg
Stac Garm on left behind Loch Ruthven

Then it was just a short trip over to the real summit

20220312_143504.jpg
Dill having a bad hair day!

20220312_143525.jpg
Looking out to Inverness!

After a short break it was time to set off again, rather than retracing our steps we went SE down over the heather until we found another convenient fire break that took us back to the original forest track. We pottered back down the path through/over the locked gate and as we got level with Loch a Choire I noticed there was a gate in the deer fence around the loch so as Dill loves a swim we went down to the Loch.

20220312_151449.jpg
On the beach before the swim with Creag Dhearg in the background

After the swim it was just a short stroll back to the car, a lovely wee dry stroll in the hills :D :D

20220312_152924.jpg
Back at the car, Stac Gorm still to do this one!
Hills4dogs
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:16
Fionas:19   
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:5

Re: Going loopy on Stac na Cathaig

Postby OurBootprints » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:12 am

PSX_20220809_220543.jpg
On the top of Meall Fuar-mhonaidh
Really enjoying to read your trip reports.
We just relocated to Inverness recently and trying to find the best local walks for our rescue hound to train him up for some multi days long distance hike.
It is many amazing walks around here, but always worried about cows :D and now crazy deer after our Little Wyvis trip (we got attacked by a deer - sheep combo while we were crossing on the farm, These two bugger teamed up and chased us down on the road while I was trying to run with a 25kg dog on my lap... :lol: ).
OurBootprints
Backpacker

Munros:35   Corbetts:13
Fionas:17   
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:17

Re: Going loopy on Stac na Cathaig

Postby Hills4dogs » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:36 pm

It is many amazing walks around here, but always worried about cows :D and now crazy deer after our Little Wyvis trip (we got attacked by a deer - sheep combo while we were crossing on the farm

I think I got chased by the same deer up there even without the dog about a month ago. It wanted through the gate st the same time as me!!
Hills4dogs
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:16
Fionas:19   
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland