walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

walk with dad

walk with dad

Postby RUGBYPLAYER » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 17/04/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 171m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walked this route with my 12 year old son, we started with Ben Strarav and followed the ridge round to Stob Coire Dheirg. There was limited visibility fom 900m so we didnt see anything till we reached the bealach that connects Glas Bheinn Mhor and Beinn nan Aighenan. When we reached the bealach we took a SSE bearing and took in Beinn nan Aighenan,retraced our steps and just before the bealach we started climbing on an East bearing untill we picked up the path taking us to Glas Bheinn Mhor. THE Munros by Cameron McNeish rate this as a 5-8 hr walk, we took 8hrs but never stopped all day so I would be careful following this estimate if your not a seasoned walker. :D
RUGBYPLAYER

Munros:141   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Re: walk with dad

Postby skuk007 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:36 pm

171m of ascent - you must have parked high up! :lol:
Wish I could have got my daughter to walk that far when she was 12.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: walk with dad

Postby Cribb-family » Fri May 27, 2011 11:08 am

Well done both. Sounds a good day out for the longer days and given some good weather we hope to head out that way. 12 year olds can come in useful on the hills. Our 12 year old daughter opted to come with us to Bla Bheinn last summer on a scorching day. My hubby had put contact lenses in and I had my reactolite glasses :shock: . We had a new GPS we had treated ourselves to and were very pleased we had managed to download the route - it worked fine in the house! 2/3 of the way up we wanted to check where the path turned to get up to the final steep bit and realised a) the strong sun had made my glasses too dark to read anything 8) , hubby couldn't see the GPS with lenses in, GPS screen was too small in the great outdoors for either of us to read and there wasn't enough shade to make it clear in any case - so Hannah to the rescue and the lead! She was first up in the end and then hopped and skipped all the way down too :D ! I put it down to all those years of mobile phones and texting - kids seem happier with tiny screens than I will ever be :? !
Cribb-family
Munro compleatist

Munros:125   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland